WW1 Russian Belt Buckle

Gildwiller1918

Here is a WW1 Russian belt buckle. It has the double headed eagle coat of arms with a lot of detail left on the stamping. One the reverse is a belt hook catch and loop and claw to retain the leather belt. I do not see any markings. There is a small crack shown in the pictures as well. 

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

IMG_3610.JPG

• Like 4

Nice example, you can see it has been ground dug, but otherwise intact, apart from the split. The iron thorn for attaching to the belt is still largely there, so it was dug up in time, most examples offered recently do not have this part. On the bar there may be a feint stamp.  I wonder if it is possible to repair the crack? A skilled welder could do this using brass. My example is by a Warsaw maker, which was part of the Russian Empire in those days - Russisch-Polen, of which the Tsar was officially King of Poland, and Grand Duke of Finnland.

• Like 4

It is possible to repair brass, but it is difficult. I have experience in this area, and might give it shot. For now though I am going to let it be. 

• Like 4