Luftwaffe Navigation Instrument - Dreieckrechner, 1941

Fritz

Dreieckrechner
A Luftwaffe navigation instrument as always part of the personal items taken on board, mostly larger aircraft with more than the pilot. This, officially known as a Dreieckrechner for calculating various aspects of navigation, position, altitude, speed and wind. It is two sided. It was first patented by C.E.Plath (Nautical Instruments) of Hamburg-Altona in 1936 and produced by Dennert & Pape of Hamburg-Altona, both firms are, as far as I know still in existence. This item was first introduced as  "Baumuster Plath DR2" in 1936 with the designation Fl.23825, which was a special number for Luftwaffe equipment, so that orders for replacements were made using these LW Codes. Also still known as a "Knemeyer" after its original designer.

This particular example was produced in August 1941. It has suffered a bit from postwar bad storage, but still fully functional for those who are familiar with it. This is the basis of modern instruments as still produced by these companies and in use today in modern aviation, with the designation "Aristo". Further models were produced in 1942/3 as DR3 and DR4 as from 1944, in use till the end of the war. A special variation in slightly luminous yellow for night flights was also later produced.

A copy of an original instruction leaflet shows and explains the various parts of the instrument and its functions.

Not sure which member of the crew had the function of navigating. Either the Observer, Bordmechanik or Bordfunker. I remember Ms. Neusüß explaining to me that Walter Neusüß as Bordfunker also was sometimes involved with "Navigation".

(transferred from equipment section)

grafik.thumb.png.4574c724a51f0d9606abff1c485a0e82.png

grafik.thumb.png.03b7e24a61b971467f13a3e7ed9de588.png

100_2787.JPG

100_2788.JPG

100_2789.JPG

Fl 23825.jpg

LWNavCom.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Another important item was the Kursdreieck for calculating the navigation course, this always accompanied the previous instrument and was issued to all navigators.
This example by Dennert & Pape, Altona, April 1941, another by Gebrüder Wichmann (internet photo examples)

Bildergebnis für luftwaffe kursdreieck

luftwaffe-kursdreieck-wichmann~4.jpg

luftwaffe-kursdreieck-wichmann~5.jpg

• Like 5

• 11 months later...

Hello fellow collectors! I'm writing to ask if anyone can help me find the origin of the photograph included in the thread above, the one of a Luftwaffe officer computing flight paths on a little pad with the navigation compass? I'll past it here as well. I'm doing some research and would be so grateful if someone could help me find where this image is from! Thanks so much! 

https://www.treasurebunker.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2017_06/LWNavCom.jpg.97de6a592f765720e9913ffc9de53e3c.jpg

• Like 3

You could try looking up the Bundesarchiv in Germany, or the DHM, Deutsches Historisches Museum, Berlin

Here is the link I used, and found the picture, you may have to search further:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dreieckrechner&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTvOr77u3uAhWM2qQKHW6AC68Q_AUoA3oECA0QBQ&biw=1366&bih=654

• Like 2

Fritz, thanks for the tip! I've tried browsing their online photographs, but haven't had any luck (it's possible I'm just not navigating their database very well). Any other thoughts? Thanks again! 

• Like 3

The soldier depicted in the photo is not an officer, he has the rank of Unteroffizier, to the end of the shoulder pieces is a narrow silver loop denoting that is also an Offizier-Kandidat, i.e., at a training school. The photo I discovered after searching under "Dreieckrechner" or "Knemeyer", Siegfried Knemeyer was the inventor of the instrument. These were exclusively made by C.E. Plath and Dennert & Pape, both firms in Altona, navigation instruments.

Bildergebnis für luftwaffe dreieckrechner

grafik.thumb.png.693d372023ef367d66514d80f9299cb6.png

Bildergebnis für dreieckrechner

This original navigation set was offered by an auction house in Germany

image.thumb.jpeg.c0342eae626df41fa476424deb11c001.jpeg

image.jpeg.464d38c03a626e5baaf75d15d9998358.jpeg

image.jpeg.4fc6b18d50b388877597a1394ba50b59.jpeg

image.jpeg.4baf92dcf168c073c9c02e7304752826.jpeg

Bildergebnis für dreieckrechner

Another example, different style of case, the rear is of bakelite

luftwaffe-navigations-ausruestung-fuer-k-verbaende-fl-23180-das-typenschild-scheint-sich-geloest-zu-haben-und-ist-wohl-zt-festgeklebt~9.jpg

luftwaffe-navigations-ausruestung-fuer-k-verbaende-fl-23180-das-typenschild-scheint-sich-geloest-zu-haben-und-ist-wohl-zt-festgeklebt~11.jpg

luftwaffe-navigations-ausruestung-fuer-k-verbaende-fl-23180-das-typenschild-scheint-sich-geloest-zu-haben-und-ist-wohl-zt-festgeklebt~10.jpg

Variations and details, list of contents

grafik.thumb.png.b569f5460a4b3cbf1313dab3148b5ef4.png

Remains of a calculator found on a former airfield near Bucharest.

• Like 2

I dropped the image into google images which searches the whole internet. It turned up 20 pages the image was in, but none of them mention origin of the photograph, they all just relate to the Dreieckrechner instrument being used. Unfortunately I don't think you will find the answer online, perhaps it is in a book but that would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, unless any Luftwaffe collectors are familiar with it.      

• Like 2

Dear Fritz and Kenny,

Thank you for looking into this! I suspect you're right that the image is probably in a book somewhere, which makes it almost impossible to track down, alas. It makes one wonder how it got onto the Internet in the first place. In any case, I really really appreciate your help. Do let me know if you think of any more ideas where I might look! Thank you again!!!!

~John. 

• Like 2

Okay friends, I have one more question that maybe you can help me with! It's also a hard one: In this documentary about the WW2 air war, the narrator mentions a "German propaganda film..." (at 14:20, starting here at this clip below). Can anyone identify where this film is from? The quality of the picture makes it look studio-produced (maybe a feature film?); it doesn't have the grainy appearance of the German weekly news updates. It's been a real puzzle. I even wrote to the producer of this documentary but he doesn't remember where he found it.  I'm hoping someone with more expertise can help.  Thanks again!!!  

• Like 4

No idea. Some of the films were made by the DEFA in Studio Babelsberg near Potsdam. There were two categories of films, those for entertaining the public and keeping their spirits up, and instructional film for the Luftwaffe, which would have been the resort of the Reichsluftfahrtministerium in Berlin. All other films made were patronised by the Reichspropagandaministerium and Joseph Goebbels, who took a keen personal interest in the film industry.
Best tip would be to apply to whoever inserted the film in Youtube. Very interesting documentary, have not seen this before.

• Like 3

Improved photos added at beginning of article.

• Like 2

• Fritz changed the title to Luftwaffe Navigation Instrument - Dreieckrechner, 1941