Bayonet

Buster

Got this in the post today, as can be seen it's a lee Enfield no4 mrk2 spike bayonet that was made at longbranch.  It came still wrapped in the hessian type grease coated material,  and as you can clearly see,  the grease did a great job of keeping the bayonet in factory fresh condition. I know they ain't much to look at, but I haven't got one in my collection , just got to keep an eye out for a frog for it.

20200131_114430.jpg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1580471761576.jpeg

20200131_123207.jpg

20200131_123224.jpg

• Like 5

My example has identical markings, I could not figure out what the strange mark meant till present. The reverse side has some more strange markings, which look like an Indian or commonwealth serial number, possibly a re-issue. The scabbard is made of steel, the mouthpiece is of zink. These examples are either from unused stocks or have been ordonnance refurbished and re-blued at some stage. I had a nicer and more used example many years ago, which had a clear broad arrow mark and a date of 1944. The scabbard was entirely of zink, the ball-tip and the button were steel.
So this must apparently also be a Canadian Longbranch manufacture.
I got this from a source, which sells them for 15 Euros a piece, with a frog they cost a bit more, however, the frogs look like a repro and are a too tight fit and have no upper loop.

100_6159.JPG

100_6160.JPG

• Like 5