WW2 German Shovel Carrier

Gildwiller1918

Here is a 1930's pre-WW2 German straight edge shovel (E-tool) leather carrier. I have been after one of these for awhile, early and pre-war types are getting very hard to find in good shape. This is one is brown leather dated 1936 and has "Tekn" stamped on it. It is also a re-issue to the Finns as it has the boxed "SA" stamp. Most of these carriers have the solid backing as well as being made from synthetic and substitute materials such as prestoff later in the war. 

IMG_3289.JPG

IMG_3290.JPG

IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3292.JPG

• Like 3

Identical to the WW1 version.  I think the SA stamp is probably of the Finnish Army. You should get the matching spade, these are however mostly not in the best condition. This is probably German made or ex German isssue, either left over in Finland, or sold as war aid.

• Like 2

I am looking for the right spade type for this carrier, like you said, it will not be easy, the SA mark was for the Finns. 

• Like 3

Here is a shovel I picked up recently, I am fairly certain it is WW2 German. It has the spot welded construction, not the rivets as earlier models had. It also has the folded over ears. There is a stamp, looks like 1944 with a makers stamp just above. 

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

• Like 3

This one I think is WW1 era German. It matches the M1898 model exactly, and it has 2 stamps, one is the makers stamp (still unknown to me) and a Turkish stamp, meaning at some point this was sent to Turkey for their forces. Look at the attached diagram, number 4. Overall, very well constructed shovel, only thing I don't like, it has a thick coat of black paint that was applied very sloppily. Unfortunately there is not a lot of good reference materials available on these shovels, and they were widely copied by many other European nations as the design was so good. 

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

Spaten und spatentasche.jpg

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

• Like 3

That is a good illustration for identification purposes.  Woodwork looks much used with patina the metal parts are in a clean condition. Question is, should the black finish be removed and what did the original textbook finish look like? One thing certain, equipment like this was regularly inspected (at least in peacetime), and it had to be perfect, or else re-finished again. I would think it would have had a matt iron grey finish, which was then conserved with a special matt clear varnish, which was also used on weapons. Lots of old and new equipment was sent to Turkey as development aid or war aid, esp. old Gew.88 rifles.

• Like 3

Good question Fritz, I think I will remove the sloppy black paint for now. If I find out anything on the finish I will post it. 

• Like 3

I will keep my eye open for a field manual from the period, this may be the best way to find out for sure. 

• Like 3

Here is a good photo showing the e-tool carrier listed above. This photo says it was taken on the Eastern Front during the initial invasion of Russia. The assistant gunner has the edelweiss on his sleeve indicating these are mountain troops or Gebirgsjäger. The gunner is operating the MG-34 machine gun with the tripod, note his Y-straps and belt hook from his tunic to support the belt, just past the e-tool carrier is the gunners pouch as well. 

s-l1000.jpg

• Like 3

Good photo - normally this was worn on the left side under the bayonet and attached to this.

• Like 3