1. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment, Regimental Beer Stein.

Fernando

I refer to your posts "Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Dragoner Regiment Nr. 17" (English Version) and "Dragoner-Regt.17 - Casualties, 1914-18." Among the casualties listed there is the following: Dragoner THIELKE Otto [died] 12.08.1914 [battle] Haelen 1. Feld-Esk.

I have recently acquired (in the U.S.) a German military/cavalry beer stein that bears the name Otto Thielke and I would like to know whether the name on the stein and your list correspond to the same man. For reference, I am including below the lines on the stein. Unfortunately they are are hard to read because she characters in German script are faded way.

Wer treu gedient hat seine Zeit dem ein voller Krug geweih... (?)
Stolz zu pols die Kavallerie, auf dem Posten Spät und Frük

Ein Kühler Trunk , vom Menschen sein
Schmeckt uns nochmal to rein

Es lebe hoch das Regiment, das Majestät die Perle neunf

Uber Hecken und Bäune dem Feind kein Pardon
Soweit un Sturm die 4. Eskadron

Zum Andenken n. m.  Diensfzeif
1. [or 4. perhaps] Garde Reg. Folsdam 1905-08

The stein includes three cavalry scenes, a pewter lid with a dragoner, and a lithophane depicting a young man. I could send you pictures via email.

My assumption is that the Otto Thielke was a member of the regiment described on the stein (1905-08) and became a member of the Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Dragoner Regiment Nr. 17 before WWI.

How the stein in question ended up in the US remains a mystery.

Fernando
  • Like 4

Hi Fernando, welcome to the forum, you can post the pictures here too if you want, just attach them to the post. Would be interesting to see it.    

• Like 3

Welcome to the Forum -

- would you care to place your information on a new topic - as this article is stictly only about Mecklenburgisches Dragoner-Regiment 17?

Your Text:

Wer treu gedient hat seine Zeit dem ein voller Krug geweiht... (?)
Stolz zu Roß die Kavallerie, auf dem Posten Spät und Früh

Ein Kühler Trunk , vom Liebchen rein
Schmeckt uns nochmal so fein

Es lebe hoch das Regiment, das Majestät die Perle nennt

Über Hecken und Bäumen dem Feind kein Pardon
So reitet im Sturm die 4. Eskadron

Zum Andenken a. m.  Dienstzeit (an meine Dienstzeit)

1. [or 4. perhaps] Garde Reg. Potsdam 1905-08

I have corrected some of the wording, which I have underlined and in bold print..

The Regiment here is  1. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment (4. Escadron of the Regiment, cavalry regiments each had a total of five Escadrons)

For Names lists , best to check the regiment histories. There have been no reprints. Many of these were published by Verlag G. Stalling & Co., Oldenburg. These histories were written individually. There are the older books published up to 1914, the newer histories were, as I mentioned often published by Stalling-Verlag, these usually list casualties of the Great War squadron by squadron.

Another site to view is:

Above is for 3. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment (Potsdam). They also have other regiments, not sure if   1.G.U.R. is included.   Further online research and the regimental history would be recommended.

N.B.: 1. and 3. Garde-Ulanen-Regimenter formed a combined cavalry brigade - 2. Garde-Kavallerie-Brigade,  which meant that they mostly operated together. They served in the West until about November 1914, and were then transferred to the Eastern Front.
Often personel, who had served pre-war, when called up, were drafted to a different regiment, whether this is the same "Thielke", it would be hard to say, but possible.

The Lithophane of "the young man" at the base of the mug is of Kaiser Wilhelm II., a younger portrait.
How the object came to America, is hard to say. It could have been found by an American soldier at the end of WW2 and brought back as a souvenir. However, since the postwar years, there is an enormous militaria trade worldwide, and dealers travel to militaria fairs also to USA and throughout Europe, there are also international auctions with many bidders and visitors from overseas.

- If Thielke served 1905-08 in 1. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment, it is very likely that on mobilisation in August 1914 he was sent to a different regiment, could be the same man, but you would have to research further. Judging by the fact that on serving 1905-08, he would have been born around 1887. Try and get some genealogy information to see if it is the same man.
Perhaps lancing a question to the Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt in Potsdam, may give some information, although many of their records were destroyed in February 1945. Records up till 1867 are said to be complete, but from 1868-1945, it is a matter of luck.

• Like 3

You can make a new topic in the history section, no problem, not difficult.

• Like 3

Hi Fernando, I have moved your stein into it's own topic for you, very nice stein indeed. If you need any more information just let us know .     

• Like 3

image.png.8e1f49fdccc2d2440cf1a68ea4be2262.png

A wartime Garde-Ulanen Tschapka, as worn by all three regiments in fieldgrey, this was of course worn with a greyish cloth cover, the "mortarboard" was removable on these 1915/16 models.

image.thumb.png.54ac0bb734184ba56af3c6af81780196.png

An officer wearing the future fieldgrey peacetime dress uniform, as prescribed in September 1915.
Official illustration by Paul Casberg.

image.thumb.png.0a4bc6ada90a371917457edda8f62a26.png

A couple of impressions of the regiment, an officer's full dress uniform and a contemporary  illustration by Döbrich-Steglitz,
from: Die Preußischen Kavallerie-Regimenter 1913/14 by Hugo W. Schulz

• Like 3

I have also re-edited my first text further above with additional information and corrections on the Stein inscription (check this)

• Like 3