WW1 Era German Bayonets

Gildwiller1918

Below are the WW1 Era German Bayonets I have so far.

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

• Like 4

Another one...unfortunately no leather holders for the scabbards.

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

• Like 4

Here is the infamous sawback bayonet, which was reported in the press being used by the Germans to commit atrocities in Belgium. Responding to the pressure from this the Germans began to remove the sawbacks from the blades. In fact these bayonets were used by sapper units and others as needed.

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

• Like 4

Here is an example of the sawback bayonet which has had its teeth removed. 

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a WW1 German leather frog I just got, to add to the scabbard. It is stamped 1918, and has a faint makers mark, also marked (what looks like) BA V  for V Armee-Korps (Posen). It is missing 2 rivets, but overall very good shape, these are getting very hard to find now. 

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

• Like 4

The last bayonet with a ground-down sawback by Fichtel & Sachs has a Bavarian crowned "L" mark over the 16, nice to have, being a Bavarian issue. The new bayonet frog looks good, getting hard to find now, and I paid over the mark last year whilst getting one for our local museum.
Do you also have some bayonet knots to go with these?   These knots were in the colours of the company/batallion within the regiment, and were always worn, even till 1918.
The same colour system was used till the end in 1945. Today, there are no bayonets, swords or knots.

• Like 4

No not yet, have not gotten that far. But it is on my to do list. Know any good sources?

• Like 4

I got the removed sawback Bavarian marked bayonet in a lot deal with the one that has the sawback, got a really good deal, the Bavarian one was practically free. 

• Like 4

The knots turn up from time to time, sometimes in lots, but these are usually very worn, as you can imagine. Individually they can cost around 150 Euros upwards.
The other ranks' show the company colours, the Unteroffizier knots are in the colours of the state (till 1918, later Weimar period in green/silver). Knots for cavalry and artillery are on a reddish leather strap.
Feldwebel and Vizefeldwebel wore Offiziers Portépée. At the same time, other ranks and nco wore a shoulder button with the company number.
Details of these knots I have posted under various topics. The colour codes were basicly:
1. = white
2. = red
3 . = yellow
4. = blue
green was only on cavalry knots, being 5. Eskadron.

Here: a colour chart dating from WW2 or before -
N.B.: WW1 period knots (usually) had open fringes:

image.png.183fb11fbfdbfeb534d44f6b9820a8df.png

Key to abbreviations:
Inf. = Infanterie
Rgt. = Regiment
Kp.= Kompanie / Company
Battr. = Batterie
Btl. = Bataillon
Stab / Stäbe = Staff (pl.)
reit. Art. = reitende Artillerie / mounted artillery
Uffz. = Unteroffizier(e)
Schwadron / Eskadron = Squadron

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Here is a WW1 era troddel (or M 1873 Troddel) I recently got. Its colors signify the 10th company of the 3rd battalion. Usually these colors were for artillery or infantry. Later wartime versions had a grey look to the band instead of the whitish color.  

IMG_3827.JPG

IMG_3826.JPG

• Like 4

Nice example, I bet it wasn't cheap. You can count the unit by the colours - Stengel yellow = III. Bataillon, and the red parts Knopf/Kranz = 10. Kompagnie
Apart from the infantry, only the foot sections of the artillery wore this, not worn by mounted batteries or cavalry.

• Like 4

Yeah Fritz, these are not cheap anymore. I am watching an auction, there is a seller who has several of the wartime grey versions. I will try and get one if they stay reasonable in price.

• Like 4