Mauser Bayonet

Gildwiller1918

Ok, need some opinions here. I have a Mauser 84/98 bayonet I picked up in Spain around 2007/2008. No markings anywhere, wondering if this could be a Spanish contract bayonet, as I have heard those exported to Spain were deliberately devoid of markings. I have heard these bayonets sometimes have markings under the wooden grips, however I have tried to get them off, but the screws are being stubborn. It fits the Mauser 98K rifle with no difficulty. 

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

• Like 4

Looks absolutely like the standard K98 bayonet and German production - what is missing is the fireguard / Feuerschutzblech, and that is very unusual, they were standard as from 1914-15. I would not attempt to force the screws, as this can damage them, as often seen. Strange that there are no markings, I sure they have been erased at some stage.  The Spanish had their own bayonets, and no similarity to the German ones, however, pre-war there were some big contracts between the Wehrmacht and Portugal - and as from about 1937, a fair number of K98 and bayonet, identical to the German ones, complete with German markings, were exported to Portugal. This however annoyed the firm of Mauser, as they had been ordered by the Wehrmacht for it's own use, and Mauser had the sole rights of trading, not the Wehrmacht!  Often referred to by collectors as the "Portugal contract". The only Portuguese markings were usually an emblem stamped into the woodwork, otherwise unaltered. However, as they were used in Portugal, they have a different appearance, and the wood is always darker than the German used examples, they were also solid wood and not the later "Schichtholz". Also the blued parts were constantly maintained and re-blued, so that they have a markedly different appearance to German issues, the wood, being darker, was often treated with olive oil, which soaks into the wood, making it very dark and staining in places. The exports to Portugal are often marked Wa63 - Waffenamt 63, Frankfurt/M. Your example could possibly have come from Portugal, do you have the scabbard?

• Like 4

No Fritz, unfortunately I do not have the scabbard. Militaria items are kind of weird in Spain, they seem to tolerate it, but not openly sell or trade. They do seem really proud of the outcome of the civil war as well as the German assistance they received. 

• Like 4

The outcome kept Spain free from Communism, this would have affected the course of history for the entire continent of Europe today if the reds had won,
and France would undoubtedly have become communist as well, if not the whole of Europe.

• Like 3

There are still parts of Spain that are Communist, when I was there for a 2 year period we were told to stay away and don't agitate anything.  

• Like 4

It is very hard to eradicate.  There will always be communists in certain parts of the population. During the Franco period, they kept very quiet and their leaders were in exile. The danger is still very present in German cities today.

Here, some events in Germany in the early 1930s:

image.png.e9d0f4f9a85e1e763d970146c6766c7c.png

An attempted march by the S.A. and the NSDAP through Altona led to the famous "Altonaer Blutsonntag" on 17.7.1932. There was heavy street fighting.

image.png.50e834cb0df098d0917c405050486717.png

A communist settlement in one of the back streets of Altona in the 1930s

image.thumb.png.3a3d5b849855c8d670f63ec486e0eaac.png

Aus den Reihen der Täter:  Activists of the  Rotfront and "Reichsbanner Movement".   A communist march in Altona, ca. 1932

image.png.26e73e3c88f815f36fef46cc7b03e108.png

image.thumb.png.5cc244099511a9cca010a49825d73d7f.png

A police razzia in a street in Altona

image.png.f7b1ccd6c73736544ae33ca0ab0c3e7b.png

The aftermath of the Altonaer Blutsonntag, suspects are questioned

image.png.89bb7db91c32b8cf8f184ee3d834b2ea.png

4 communists received the highest sentence

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have what looks to be a Mauser Bayonet with the marking 7446 W on the blade. The scabbard has the numbers 0465 J. Could you please tell me anything about it?

• Like 4

The numbers obviously don't match as found with most bayonets nowadays, originally they were all matched. These are simply serial numbers with the production. All weapons had a serial number. Why not post a few pictures of the bayonet with all markings? Are there any other markings or codes present?  Otherwise a maker cannot be determined. Each bayonet had the makers name or later makers code. At the back of the blade may also be the last two digits of the year made, 39 or 40 for example.

grafik.thumb.png.2f87bbc2ec3eedce15bb5dc613902b8c.png

Back of pommel has 2 eagle and inspection marks with Wa 883 number.

grafik.thumb.png.0bb273c433307f44fba81e4ccb2fc53d.png

Maker codes, unmatched, with the year, 1941 and 1943

grafik.thumb.png.90966a99677aacea1537a1da7e26725e.png

Unmatched serial numbers

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Thanks 72!

• Like 4