German Identity Disk/Dog Tag

Gildwiller1918

I believe this to be a WW1 Era German Identity tag. most likely the model 1879 type (correct me if I am wrong here Fritz). It is stamped "R.J.R. 61" Which I think means reserve jager regiment 61. Next line is "2. Komp" for 2nd Company, followed by "88" which should have been the wearers position/roster number. 

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

• Like 4

J = Jnfanterie = Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 61, 2.Kompagnie
the 88 is the Stammrollen-Nummer (enlistment no. within the unit)
there were not that many Jäger-Bataillons - they were grouped together during the war to form a regiment, but otherwise they were traditionally a Battalion. 

Example: J.B.10 would be Jäger-Batailon Nr.10

Peacetime Formations were:
Garde-Jäger-Bataillon (Potsdam)
Garde-Schützen-Bataillon (Berlin)
Prussian Jäger-Bataillons Nr. 1-6, 8-11
Westfälisches Jäger-Bataillon 7 (Schaumburg-Lippe)
Saxon Jäger-Bataillons 12, 13
Mecklenburgisches Jäger-Bataillon 14

Bavaria: 1. u. 2. Jäger-Bataillon

• Like 3

Ah, thanks Fritz, good info!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot - Westfälisches Jäger-Bataillon 7 (Schaumburg-Lippe), now added.

The identity disc / Erkennungsmarke shown above is one of a set of 2, later replaced with a split disc, which could be broken into two pieces.
The fact that the disc shown is only single could well mean that the wearer was a casualty.

Many ground dug discs have been turning up in the past few years, particularly in Eastern Europe and Russia - this practice is illegal - when discs are found, these have to be reported to the authorities responsable - behind each disc is the fate of a missing soldier. It is a matter of tact and responsability when purchasing discs from dubious sources.

Below is a set of matched discs to one wearer. On the smaller disc is a coloured cord, red/white/black: Deutsches Reich, the other is in the colours of the nationality of the wearer, black and white for Prussia. They are from the Garde-Füsilier-Regiment, Ers.-Btl., 4.Komp., later 8. Kompagnie.
Name, date of birth and address and Stammrollennummer are included on the larger disc.

image.png.b5e9bbc54c3353c20bdf22150c5e8bed.png

image.png.ecbf389efe36ccbe92de3163f9cab34e.png

• Like 4

I agree 100% Fritz, I am always cautious when buying from new or non-vetted sources. I got this tag in England along with a bunch of other items, so it was a "lot" sale. I have seen a lot of personal items coming out of Eastern Europe and Russia, and have often wondered if these are being dug/obtained legally. 

• Like 4