WW1 Stick Grenade

Gildwiller1918

Here is the Model 1916 stick grenade. This version had the screw cap end with the ball and pull string. The can types varied by manufacture and there are several variants. This particular one has a fitted steel top with metal tabs that fold over the rim to secure the top in place. All of the M16 types have a carrying loop on the side of the grenade head. There are variants of this loop as well. Some of the grenade heads are larger, smaller, and have different tops. 

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Some of my spare parts for re-building the stick grenades and other types, I pick these up occasionally when the price is right. 

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4932.JPG

• Like 4

Here are all the stick types that I have currently. I am re-organizing so I decided to get a group photo. 

IMG_4933.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

WW1 period photo of captured German grenades and items.

00-grenadechipsrex.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I wonder where all the parts come from, I suppose some of them are ground-dug.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

Just landed this WW1 M17 Ubung Training Stick Grenade. Nice clean head no pitting. Minute traces of the original red paint.Head is ceased to the rain cap so I need to remove the very small screws (and re use them which is tricky) in order to remove the stick and soak the head and rain cap in a suitable oil to hopefully free up the head.

The stick let’s it down. Wrong shape, rain cap doesn’t sit right on the stick same goes for the base cap collar.No manufacturers/5 seconds stamp and it is covered in thick varnish that comes off easily with nitromorse so I’ll strip it off and see where I go from there. It is quite possibly repro although there are traces of what looks like original paint on the wood beneath the rain cap. Would welcome your thoughts on the stick issues.

F7A8396F-F3C7-4E51-9F8F-0F79F22365C7.thumb.jpeg.fd9fc51b529ac74677b7c44ed94ae7e6.jpeg

480846CF-89A2-44CA-92B6-B3AF719E6621.thumb.jpeg.8956f2777a55b867285f3b520e5b8b05.jpeg

DA7CB9E8-6C32-4EFF-A0AC-9C5813D66844.thumb.jpeg.f472d5e0b34d86341576935695deab79.jpeg

• Like 4

The stick looks alright and could be original... Slightly different shape to the WW2 type.

• Like 4

The stick and configuration looks ok to me. It is possible the stick handle is new, but it might be an original that has been sanded/cleaned at some point. Below is another example for comparison.

ONSV3821__01.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gildwiller1918 said:

The stick and configuration looks ok to me. It is possible the stick handle is new, but it might be an original that has been sanded/cleaned at some point. Below is another example for comparison.

ONSV3821__01.jpg

Same shape. I’ll restore it nice one.

• Like 4

No problem. I have seen quite a bit of newly made handles for all WW1 types coming out of Eastern Europe/Russia. I have also seen original ones that have been sanded, stained and re-stamped as well. However it is still a rare item to have and I think it will clean up nicely. 

• Like 3