WW1 Stick Grenade

Gildwiller1918

Here is a item I just picked up, a WW1 era German stick grenade. Now this is a peculiar type, it has the 1915 Brennzunder type head and the grenade handle has the correct profile for this model, however it as the the screw cap end instead of the pull string rounded end. I imagine as the rounded end types were phased out the handles were still being made and were changed to meet the criteria for the screw cap types. So my guess is that this is a very late M1915 type, right before switching to the M16 types. The screw cap is incorrect, this one is for the M24, not a WW1 issue, but I will replace it with a correct one. There are faint markings on the wood handle for the maker (Lachmann Berlin), and the 5 1/2 second fuse. Overall nice condition despite its age, and not very common anymore.

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

• Like 5

image.png.3d2d2612b7ddc1fa17a07e3a02b17fd7.png

image.png.877ac2092c6ff749fded7c6e2f7d5ad2.png

My example, also by Lachmann & Cie., screwcap and fitting at bottom end of handle both missing, this has been sealed with brown waxed paper with a  simulated  pull-thread I suppose it is almost impossible to get these fittings. Has been restored, as visible in the picture. I don't like the label somebody has stuck on it

• Like 5

Very nice Fritz! You can find the end caps every so often on ebay, but they don't come up often. I have plenty of the caps and porcelain balls, the adapter they screwed onto is the hard part. Yeah the label looks a little cheesy, but these are hard to come by models. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an update to the stick grenade posted above, I have removed the M24 type screwed fitting with a period correct fitting. These can be found but do not come up very often, the end caps are much more common. 

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

• Like 4

Here is an illustration that shows some of the German Stick grenade types seen before the later M1917 models. 

German-Stck-Grenades.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, the head on my example looks like the "C" type, whereas the stick is either of the "A" or "B" type?   I wonder if this combination is possible?

• Like 2

Information on the manufacture and process of these grenades is slim to none, but I imagine as the requirements changed, parts that were left over were modified or used up, so nothing wasted. I have also seen a Kugel grenade mounted on a stick as well. I have seen a lot of variations with the M16 types as well, differences in the can shape and design. I'm guessing that as long as the devices worked to specifications, makers had a lot of latitude. 

• Like 3

Here is another example of the type head you have with the screw cap fitting. 

b9390a839a3d97853a1f7952ab2698e4fc50055375887.jpg

• Like 3

Here is a really nice image from WW1, here a German Soldier is well prepared for anything that comes his way! Look at the detail on the M17's on his belt. Also the mutli-head charge.

ImpStick.jpg

• Like 4

This is the well-known "geballte Ladung", which was thought-out for destroying the new English tanks, which were otherwise only vulnerable to artillery fire. It was quite effective for this, and the idea was even used again in WW2

• Like 2

Here is an example of the Kugel mounted on a stick grenade.

2.jpg

• Like 5

I have heard that German Grenades were not powerful enough or designed to destroy the tanks, but to disable them so the Germans could use them. The steel in the tanks would splinter causing terrible wounds for the crews. I also have a large stick grenade specially designed for this as well. 

• Like 3

The last example looks like an early combination.
However, the "geballte Ladung" was said to be strong enough to destroy a tank if they were placed properly. The combination of 6 or 7 grenade heads  was said to be enough to finish a tank.

• Like 3

Here is my WW1 German Anti-Armor Grenade. It has been partially restored, as they are extremely difficult to find. This is the smaller size as there was one a bit larger. Note the size compared to the smoke grenade next to it. The size of this one is 10 CM wide, the larger one is 13cm wide.

IMG_2878.JPG

• Like 4

Oddly enough on the Kugel Stick Grenade, only the type 13 Kugel seems to be used in that combination, not the M15. 

• Like 3

Als geballte Ladung bezeichnete man seit dem Ersten Weltkrieg ein Hilfsmittel zur Panzerbekämpfung.
Im militärischen Bereich bildete man eine geballte Ladung durch Aneinanderbinden mehrerer Handgranaten an ihren Töpfen, um eine gleichzeitige Detonation zu bewirken. Mit der so verstärkten Sprengkraft konnten schwächere Panzerungen oder Mauern durchschlagen werden. Dieses Behelfsmittel wurde auch noch im Zweiten Weltkrieg gegen gepanzerte Kampffahrzeuge eingesetzt, bevor andere Panzernahbekämpfungsmittel zur Verfügung standen
(Wikipedia short explanation - comprising a combination of several handgrenades)

image.thumb.png.5492c8b72539c9ab9731332e0db26b53.png

A "Landser" with a "geballte Ladung"

image.png.b0edd271ad44b9a679bb51dacfe4d761.png

"Panzerbekämpfungsmittel"

image.thumb.png.0064a0c9046cda75925274df3e145cc1.png

Here is a WW2 period photo, however, these are the Kugel type - and the photo is probably staged for a training manual

image.png.a73d50988b28e768bd0f2e352c0543c4.png

• Like 5

I have seen the WW2 version many times, the last photo, the one that looks staged, the grenades are Dutch type 3 offensive grenades (see image below). Of course when Holland fell, the remaining stocks of ordnance fell into German hands. 

nrcols1.301.jpg

• Like 3

There are quite a few WW2 European Grenades on the market that were pressed into service by the Germans, the Danish M23 is very prevalent right now. 

haandbombem1923cols1.jpg

• Like 4

Here is the M15 type grenade with the rounded end wooden handle, at the end of the handle would have been a pull string to ignite the fuse. So you can see how this grenade type, the explosive head went from this handle to the "B" listed above, I am sure that when this model was phased out, they had a lot of heads left, and just simply added them to the new stick types. 

stielhgrbzcols1.jpg

stiel15corddraw.jpg

german-photographer-wwi-german-grenadier-armed-with-stick-grenades-1915.jpg

• Like 4

Here is one that is still on my wishlist, German M1915 Percussion type stick grenade. It had a exterior release spoon/handle that ignited the fuse. 

Item1571.JPG

b392811db52126dc605fa7573cf5db37.jpg

• Like 4

WW1 German Stick grenades, especially the M16/17 types would come in packing crates such as the one below. Crates such as these are rare today, as most were broken up and used in the trenches. 

PB190084.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

As you say, nothing was thrown away, everything was put to use. Shortages of everything was one of the main problems throughout WW1, and the population was beginning to starve by the Winter of 1916/17 - due to the Allied sea blockade -  it was known as the Hungerwinter or Steckrübenwinter.   Well over one and a half million people died due to this, affected were mainly the elderly and small children.  The blockade continued till about 1922.  There were also considerable shortages during WW2

• Like 4

Most people today think the Great War ended on Nov. 11th, but in reality it lasted much longer. From the blockage of Germany to the occupation of the Rhineland to allied troops in Russia, and the Versailles Treaty did not help, but just ensured another conflict. The so called "war to end all wars" was not to be. Also towards the end of the war till 1920, you had the Spanish Flu outbreak which killed between 50-75 million people, with a third of the world's population being infected. 

So you had a very terrible war that caused untold suffering, then a nasty flu outbreak, then with shortages of everything from food to clothing to medicine, the Great Depression hits. Very tough times indeed. 

• Like 3

There were also occupation by Allied troops around Danzig, but also in Upper Silesia. Yes, the influenza epidemic claimed as many victims worldwide as the war itself.

image.png.d429d9ade06b508a25813b95e012ec7c.png

image.thumb.png.4c92db17195eca98759073cae08579ed.png

French troops at Coblenz (Rhein)

image.thumb.png.e32c12bfbff2dea69b59a9496d70089b.png

Bogutschütz, Schlesien, 1920, French troops guarding an area endangered by Polish insurgents.

image.png.da9ac0a829695ea5b0bb417f2c4eaffb.png

British troops in Gorny Slask (Oberschwedeldorf)

• Like 4

Additionally, the Allied Control Commision was established in Berlin to ensure that the Germans observed the terms of the Treaty. Some of their actions included hunting down large caliber artillery and ensuring its destruction or being sent off as spoils of war. As well as to fix the number of customs officials, local urban and rural police, forest guards and other like officials under the control of the Government of the central power concerned. While not technically an occupation force, it consisted of military and government members and was finally withdrawn in 1927. 

• Like 3