WW1 Era US M1912 Tunic

Gildwiller1918

This is a US M1912 Tunic, so called because of the changes in uniform design in 1911, resulting in the M1912. These tunics were made of wool, however unlike later models the wool color was more of a tan than green/olive drab appearance. The M1912 is distinguishable from other patterns as it has a double row of stitching along the cuffs. The tunic is also fully lined, something that was cut from wartime production coats. These coats were used in the punuitive expedition into mexico to go after Pancho Villa as well as troops going to france in 1917 and 1918. The stocks were issued until depleted. These coats originally had rank chevrons on both sleeves, however in 1917, the US military decided that only one chevron was ro be worn. 

This particular coat has an engineer corporal rank on the right sleeve. On the left sleeve there is a diamond shaped patch for railway engineers, followed by an honorable service/discharge stripe and below that is a double chevron denoting two overseas service tours. At the collar are the US and engineer disks. The last picture shows the difference in color, the M1912 is on the left and a later pattern tunic on the right. 

IMG_2374.thumb.JPG.f3b101b582c8b40b515fc9da524a5c23.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

• Like 4

I apologize, for some reason the pictures keep posting out of order.

• Like 3

I had this problem too, until I found a way around it, this being to simply copy and paste the photos in the position you want them. You can still correct this any time.

• Like 3

Thanks Fritz, I have corrected the lineup.

• Like 4