Treasure Hunting in Germany

Hi,

I don't know if you knew, but here in Germany, even if it's not really welcome around here, treasurehunting for WW2 relicts can be quite interesting and sometimes even sucessful.....less in my region, but the north is quite interesting....

if you're interested in some pictures from my trips through our forests, I could post some storys and pics....

Chris B)

• Like 1

Hey Chris, I've love soem pics,

I am headed over to Saxony next week, hoping for some nice finds :-)

Hi,

I don't know if you knew, but here in Germany, even if it's not really welcome around here, treasurehunting for WW2 relicts can be quite interesting and sometimes even sucessful.....less in my region, but the north is quite interesting....

if you're interested in some pictures from my trips through our forests, I could post some storys and pics....

Chris B)

• Like 1

Hi Chris, yes that sounds interesting look forward to seeing the pictures and stories :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, did you ever get a chance to dig out those pictures? really interested to see what can still be found in the forests of Germany.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, did you ever get a chance to dig out those pictures? really interested to see what can still be found in the forests of Germany.

Hi Kenny,

I was ill again (like almost every day in this month) and had to stay in bed for the last time..... But near to Christmas, it's getting better again.

So, about treasurehunting in Germany there is something very important to say. The north of Germany is very good for awards, dog tags and belt buckles.....in the rest from Germany those things a like a win in the lottery. So in area, the south west, I'm always happy, if I find s.th. "special" for our regions....

Now, without any comment, some pictures....please tell me what you think about them....

Regards

Chris

I Have to say that every shown piece of ammunition is free of any explosive element or s.th. like it.....

post-18-1198514000_thumb.jpg

post-18-1198514006_thumb.jpg

post-18-1198514011_thumb.jpg

post-18-1198514018_thumb.jpg

post-18-1198514025_thumb.jpg

post-18-1198514031_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice Chris, are they 88mm rounds in the middle picture?

• Like 1

Great stuff Chris.... who does the removal of the powder & certify that they are de-act and safe for you?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Chris,

love the photos! Alays been a dream of mine to dig relics on site in Germany. Would save me a small fortune buying them off ebay with reservations about provenance always in back of mind. If you ever decide to sell some on ebay or through Treasure Bunker please give me shout.

More photos please.

Cheers

Ross

• Like 1

Of course only mean to say if you put items for sale via Treasure Bunker in keeping with forum rules I have just re read!

Ross

• Like 1

Cheers Ross ;)

If Chris offers me anything you will be the first to know, you don't still buy from ebay do you? The horrors I hear every week about some of the stuff on sale there, most of the gear is dodgy and if it is real its probably from a grave :o

• Like 1

:o

I'd back up what Kenny says about Fleabay!

I've heard of a lot of dodgy stuff and/or rigged auctions by sellers getting their mates to put in bids to push the price up. An e-bay seller himself told me he does this all the time.

In the past I've bought Dragon parts for customising 1/6th figures from fleabay shops and that's been fine. I would not go near so called real militaria there. You have to be careful about other internet sellers too!

The management of fleabay are quick to act against breaches of their "rules" eg Swasticas and SS runes on models (!) but from what I've read ignore reports of malpractice. There are far too many people reporting this for it to be a disgruntled minority. :angry:

I am appaled at looting war graves, marked or unmarked. Taking relics from old battlefields is fair enough but not personnel effects from remains. :angry: A few years ago I read that the graves at Isandelwana (sp) had been looted for helmet plates and buttons. These were then sold on the internet. :angry::angry:

Dave B)

• Like 1

Yea, Ebay have a terrible reputation.

I'm not just trying to put you off buying there Ross, If you do run into problems with them they treat you like s**t especially pay pal.I went through a phase of using ebay or eban as alot of people call it.

I was selling quite a few items on it which had been lying about the shop for a while ,I decided to add pay pal as a payment option on my website.Pay pal contacted me because I had a couple of de-act guns on my site ,which are totally legal! my site not ebay and they froze my account for 3 months!! I wasn't even trying to sell the de-acts on Ebay.I had amassed quite a lot of money in my account and left it there as a sort of reserve account ,big mistake they just froze it and there was nothing I could do.Because they are not a Bank they are not regulated, I have never been treated like that in my life, my lawyer could'nt even do anything.

At this period I was also buying a few bits of militaria but every time I got something I'd think to myself is this really real? I ended up just putting all the bits in my repro cabinet just to be on the safe side.

I suppose its OK for CD's and things like that but would never use it to buy anything of serious value ,far too risky.

One of my customers spent over £1000 on a Waterloo medal when it arrived it was fake, he emailed the guy and the answer he got was "Sorry I no understand I speak no English" then the guy disappeared and there was nothing he could do about it.Needless to say Eban did nothing.

Rant Over :D

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments. Would appreciate any info re battlefield relics via the bunker if you get your hands on any. Did snap up the box of buckles and bits and bobs from Stalingrad you had a few years back but such items usually difficult to readily obtain in any quantity. Might have to resort to taking metal detector to Seelow Heights. Got just the spot above the fireplace for a rusty panzerfaust

• Like 1

Consider it done Ross,

I didn't realise you got the Stalingrad bits , we also had a nice kubelwagen number plate from the same source however I think you just missed that one.Are you the same Ross who is buying the mess tin?

We never bothered too much about relic items in the past but now I know you are looking for them I'll keep an eye out for items for you.

• Like 1

Yep,

the same Ross who didnt sign the cheque for the mess tin. Would very much appreciate any offers of relics especially Stalingrad or the defense of Berlin.

If up in Glasgow will pop in and show the SS canteen tokens. Was up a few months ago and was going to pop in but was on a day you were closed sadly. Only recently got PC so now the www is my oyster for searching for militaria but apart from the odd relic on ebay only trust a couple of dealers for badges and medals etc. Like the site and forum very much nice to find others interested in the same stuff as me. Difficult to find like minded others people usually assume you are a neo nazi if interested in german militaria.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Ross

• Like 1

:mellow:

It seems an obvious point but anybody should be warned who is going to dig old battlefields that a lot of the items will still go bang and kill you. :huh:

I am amazed at how much stuff is still buried. Whole armoured vehicles are being found in Poland, Ukraine etc. There's literally tons of explosives from WW1 still being dug up every year in northern France.:lol:

I feel that collecting battlefield finds(as long as it's not from graves) is a viable hobby but prices I have seen at shows are on the high side for the condition.

Will the fakers start making fake battlefield relics? I suppose they will.

Dave :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Battlefield relic fakes of American Civil War items are common in the US, dropped bullets with the wrong lead patina, oddly coloured brass, and cheap repro items tossed into someones garden for a year or two then sold as original are all seen with regularity.

:mellow:

It seems an obvious point but anybody should be warned who is going to dig old battlefields that a lot of the items will still go bang and kill you. :huh:

I am amazed at how much stuff is still buried. Whole armoured vehicles are being found in Poland, Ukraine etc. There's literally tons of explosives from WW1 still being dug up every year in northern France.:lol:

I feel that collecting battlefield finds(as long as it's not from graves) is a viable hobby but prices I have seen at shows are on the high side for the condition.

Will the fakers start making fake battlefield relics? I suppose they will.

Dave :rolleyes:

• Like 1