WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet

Gildwiller1918

I have what I believe is a WW1 German Ersatz Bayonet, which was sold to Turkey, who then shortened the blade and modified the hilt as needed. This particular one, using the site below is the EB-9 type. It has "96403" stamped on the handle. I found this in an antique shop for $20 (16 pounds), being listed as an "Old Knife". Overall it seems to be in pretty good shape. The blade itself has been through a bench grinder to shine it up as there are evident scratch marks. The bayonet release lug was stuck closed from rust, but I have broken it loose now and it works just fine. Interesting piece to be sure. I would recommend caution if looking to add these to collections as there are fakes being produced, even fake handles and hilt assemblies are being sold. 

The website below has a lot of good information about these bayonets. 

http://old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL DOCUMNETS/German Ersatz.htm

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

• Like 4

I had one like this, but it had an open or 3/4 ring, was with scabbard with some traces of original paintwork and some mud attached! Unfortunately traded on.

• Like 3

This is the first one I have gotten my hands on, could not argue with the price. But I need to educate myself a little more before diving into these bayonets. 

• Like 4

They are usually quite expensive and in poor condition.

• Like 3

I have seen quite a few lately, a lot of them with turkish markings, wonder if someone found a bunch and brought them back, this also tends to make me suspicious also. Yes, and I have noticed the more rare types can be really expensive. Was not aware there were so many varieties. 

• Like 4

There are several publications on Ersatz-Bayonets, one well known is by the author Anthony Carter, which is still recognised as a standard reference work.
There were also many "Aushilfsseitengewehre" - captured bayonets, which were converted to fit German rifles, and also captured rifles were used. These were usually issued to home defence forces and Landsturm.

• Like 3