US M1902 Dress Uniform Tunic #2

Gildwiller1918

Here is another beautiful example of the US Army 1902 dress uniform. This tunic, piped in Signal Corps colors (orange and white) has Sergeant Chevrons (worn from 1902-1917), proper aiguillette, cuban occupation ribbon as well as the M1902 service cap which has the matching signal corps colored band around the cap and the branch insignia. This uniform also has Pennsylvania state militia buttons versus the typical US marked buttons. 

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

• Like 4

Very good condition for age, very little wear.

• Like 3

Yes, you can find these tunics in decent shape most of the time, unlike the regular day to day uniforms, these did not get worn very much and were stored away. But they are getting harder to find especially with all the accessories included. The caps and pants are ever harder to find. 

• Like 4

No problems with moths? Here in the EU they banned mothballs several years ago. An effective alternative is hard to find.
In the EU they have been banning one thing after another, affecting collectors in every way.

• Like 3

Moths can be a problem. Usually when I get a new wool uniform/tunic, etc. I get them dry cleaned, which will kill moths and larvae. Once cleaned I put them into clear garment bags to help protect them. I don't like mothballs either. 

• Like 3

Not every uniform is suitable for dry cleaning, this removes the natural lanolin in the wool  - nor washing. In the old days, uniforms were beaten from inside with a clothes whip or similar to a carpet beater, stains can be removed with Vodka or similar. It is well known that "wool is self cleaning".  Ironing through a wet cotton cloth also freshens up, should be done with due care - this also kills any traces of moths, tunic should be absolutely dry before putting in a wardrobe or storage!   For storage, a transparent plastic wardrobe bag is ideal, this should be kept closed with absolutely no gaps. Regular inspection is also recommended.

Tumbling in a dry cleaning can also damage buttons (dents, etc.), braids,  embroideries and gold or silver bouillons.

I have only ever dry cleaned 3 uniforms, using the old self-service dry-cleaning, which unfortunately has been abolished due to some strange new law introduced about 20 years ago. I did this turning the tunics inside-out and putting them in a closed cotton laundry bag.  This I consider an absolute exception.

• Like 4

Absolutely Fritz, I only dry clean uniforms that are in very good condition, no rips or tears, or even serious moth damage. I have some that are in rough shape that I would love to get cleaned but I know they would get damaged even more from the process. The cleaning places will even tell you this, especially with woolen items. Typically for a uniform in really good shape I also have them put it into a mesh bag, in case a button comes off, it won't get lost. Most of the wool uniforms I have gotten dry cleaned are the walking out types that didn't see much use. 

I also use clear wardrobe bags and I check them often, those moths can be very persistent. I had a small outbreak not long ago, they got into the M1917 helmets, which have a wool pad in the liner, took awhile to get rid of them. Now all my helmets are in plastic bags as well.

• Like 4

Steel helmets I also store in a clear plastic bag, this protects leather and felt or wool, and prevents any leather parts drying out, it also generally protects against dust, which is also harmfull.

• Like 4