WW2 German Map Case

Gildwiller1918

Here is a WW2 German M35 type map case. Only thing is I am not 100% sure if its authentic or not (Fritz, might need some input). It was reasonably priced so not worried about that. It seems to match other M35's I have seen, only difference is on the buckles, the metal rollers are missing to help guide the leather through. There is a stamp on the leather, it reads "hoy 44" or something like that. I have not been able to find this manufacturer. The leather does look period, with normal wear and tear. The contents include several pencils, a eraser and ruler, don't know if they are period or not, but those are easy to find. I have been wanting to put together one of these cases with contents for awhile. Any information is welcome. 

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

• Like 5

Here are some items I have collected for display use for the map case. Below is a nice map of Southeastern England, dated inside at 1940, outside has a ink stamp of 1944. Very detailed map, quite large as well. 

Next is a kurvenmesser  or a distance measuring meter. These came is a variety of designs but all functioned the same. 

Last is a slide ruler, german made. I have seen these as well as regular rulers in the map cases. 

I have noticed map case accessories have gotten quite expensive and hard to find lately as well, if anyone know a good source, please let me know. 

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

• Like 5

Normally they were of smooth leather, black for nco's and brown for officers - but as this is a late example, could be of same embossed leather as the cartridge cases this being less likely to scratch. The leather looks the age. The East German Army had similar leather cases postwar till 1989, usually brown, but you can see the difference in the leather, the fittings and stampings. I would think this is a genuine period piece.

The Kurvenmesser looks a bit new, also the instructions look very new, the type of print and text looks like for civilian use and travel, what are the details on this?

The slide ruler may or may not be military, not sure if this is period, possibly a civilian item?

• Like 4

Hello Fritz, I could not see any markings on the kurvenmesser that would indicate a maker or its age. I have included a picture of the paperwork in the box. My guess is that its post war, but I am not an expert on these items. The slide ruler, don't know on that one either, maybe for engineer use, can't imagine too many occupations would need one. I have heard of civilian items being pressed into service or soldiers privately purchasing items, but don't honestly know on these. I have source for period pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners and plotting rulers,  and other source for some harder to find items, but they get expensive. I want to put together an accurate representation for this map case, so it may take some time. 

IMG_1981.JPG

• Like 5

I would say the Kurvenmesser is post war, everything else looks period, although I would agree with Fritz about the slide rule.  

• Like 3

Awesome, thanks Kenny! I was more concerned about the pouch being original than anything else. Once I get some filler materials I will post them. 

• Like 4

Here are some items I got just the other day for the map case. 

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

• Like 5

I would say the geometry measure is older post-war, as it says "Germany" on it, so commercial market / export ware. The Radiergummi is probably not period, but old, the Kopierstifte also look somewhat new, but may be period. Most of these goods are still in production and use today.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here is something that just came in today, a German maps and terrain manual, which also covers compass usage. I believe this is pre-WW2 or very early into the conflict. I cannot find a printing date, but on the back cover there are other manuals listed for sale, one includes "SS". Fritz, you ever come across one of these? 

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

• Like 4

I haven't seen this instruction book before, but a lot of such books do turn up from time to time. Could this be more for use for the political organisations other than the Wehrmacht? That is the impression I get.

• Like 3

I don't know much else than what I wrote, but it only cost me one dollar, so could not argue, lol. The vendor that I bought it from had several WW2 era German manuals. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Got 2 more items that are map/map case related. First is a Kartenfibel, which has a pictorial section to show what items would be on a map. Dated January 1941. This one has several stamps inside, including "Kommando der Schutzpolizei" The manual is in excellent condition and has pretty much any topographic feature or items you would want to identify from a map. 

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3239.JPG

• Like 5

Here is the other item, a map of West-Russland, very detailed. This would be of good use at a headquarters or similar function. Troops on the ground would have needed something more detailed.

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 years later...

New addition, a nice condition map accessory pouch. This pouch usually contained the grid scale tools or similar items. 

IMG_6977.JPG

IMG_6978.JPG

IMG_6980.JPG

IMG_6979.JPG

• Like 6