US WW1 and WW2 Brodie Helmets and Maker Stamps

leon21

Welcome to the forum Wrecker 1, any chance you can post a photo of your helmet and marks.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Translated for Domi88

Hello I have a kelly 1917a1 helmet with a 1D stamp and I would like to know the date of this manufacture? Thank you

• Like 3

Hello Domi, welcome to the forum. I do not have an exact date for your helmet, however the lot number suggests an early one. The M1917A1 "Kelly Helmet" was introduced in the early 1930s, first using the WW1 era M1917 helmet and sometimes British made WW1 helmets. In early 1941, the McCord radiator company produced nearly a million new shells, however this was halted in 1941 to transition to the M1 helmet. If I had to guess, your helmet is most likely from November-December 1940.  Does your helmet have the correct liner?

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum Domi88, more likely made after Feb 1941 this date is when the 10 C numbers  were stamped.

• Like 2

Hi, I have a couple of WWI Brodie Helmets I would like some information on.  One is marked D/F1 and the other is marked M/u 247 or M/J 247.  Both have liners and leather chinstraps and are in VG condition.  The 1st one appears to be size 7 1/8 and the 2nd is either a 7 1/4 or 7 3/8. The shell on the 2nd helmet has the name Fred SundStrom scratched on the underside and the chin strap is marked SGT. Travex.  The inside of the liner is marked with a red box stamp that says:

Brodie's Steel Helmet

Registration No. C0199xxxx

WAR OFFICE PATTERN

PATENT No. illegible

Any insight you can provide will be appreciated.

Richard

• Like 4

Very nice helmets, love that red stamp on the liner! 

• Like 3

Welcome Richard, both your helmets are the 1916 variant  with added rim and drawstring improvements 

The first stamped D/F 1 is made by James Dixon & Sons Ltd, and the Steel Supplier was Thomas Firth & Sons

Ltd both of Sheffield.

The second  helmet is made by J & J Maxfield & Sons Ltd and Steel Supplier Samuel Osborne & Co Ltd both of Sheffield, the letter U is a miss-stamped letter O and Batch No 247.

The liner red stamp reads= Brodies Steel Helmet Registration No 65199 War Office Pattern, Patent No 11803/16 made by the Army & Navy Co-op Society Westminster London. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Leon21, thank you for the production information on these helmets.  They belonged to my deceased father who had a small WWI collection.  We are beginning to dispose of the estate.  What is the current value on these helmets?

• Like 4

Hard to say Richard I've seen on the bidding sites prices range from £2oo to £500, my advice have a 

look on these sites to look at condition and price they are asking for them.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi, again a US M1917 that I just found in the Netherlands. I would assume it was used with a Disaster Relief unit/Civil Defense although the color is more a blueish grey instead of the usual greenish grey.

It is stamped ZD218.
Rgds Clement  

M1917_1.jpg

M1917_2.jpg

M1917_3.jpg

M1917_4.jpg

M1917_5.jpg

• Like 4

Nice looking helmet Kievit, ZD maker is not known at this time.

• Like 3

Nice helmet Kievit, I have a similar stamped one, ZD 238, with the stamp showing on the reverse brim as well. 

• Like 3

Here is another addition to my collection, a M1917 stamped "ZD 180", just the shell, no liner or chinstrap. I am actually having a hard time finding shells with heat stamps that I don't have. Any the prices are getting crazy.

IMG_5957.JPG

IMG_5956.JPG

IMG_5955.JPG

• Like 3

Nice helmet! Even without liner it shows history and authenticity. That's how I always prefer to find them.

rgds Clément

• Like 4

I agree, If I pick up a shell, it must at least have the bales for the chinstraps. I currently have 134 different helmets (both UK and US versions) with various heat stamps. 

• Like 3

Hello - I have these two helmets and reading this thread believe have figured out the ZA maker and I’m assuming 14A is a heat batch?  However I’m thoroughly confused by some of it but thought these were both US?  Would love some information on what they actually are instead of me guessing 

• Like 3

Hi I just bought this helmet it’s still in the mail heading my way. It has this stamp 1c maybe 1G. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks 

• Like 3

So I guess I messed up trying to add photos.  Here are the yep helmets I referenced above.  I’d love to get feedback and any information.  The insert on one is clearly newer.  The chin strap snapped on the older one but the pieces are all there 

2EE44E3A-9268-4A40-A3FE-7517DCDEF6A8.jpeg

B7D61DED-1002-4FBB-A3C6-5FE68328471B.jpeg

BA0292D2-E439-42AE-9D29-28FF36757923.jpeg

929FB8F7-D317-423C-AE45-98E000A6811A.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi, the first one with stamp 14A to me appears to be a Kelly helmet refurbished in the 1950ies for use in the Dutch civil defense. Very nice helmet! 
Clement

• Like 3

Hello Yacorie, your first helmet is indeed a US made M1917A1, also called the Kelly Helmet, but as Kievit stated, it has since been refurbished. The second one is a standard issue WW1 M1917 US made helmet. Nice stamp in the liner as well.

• Like 3