US WW1 and WW2 Brodie Helmets and Maker Stamps

leon21

Here's a M1917 helmet stamped ZA 28 has no liner or chinstrap only wool pad remaining.

Photo's from other sources.

ZA 28 (1).jpg

ZA 28 (2).jpg

ZA 28 (3).jpg

• Like 4

Here's a M1917 helmet stamped UC 305 still has its liner and chinstrap although not attached to chinstrap lugs.

UC 305 (1).jpg

UC 305 (2).jpg

• Like 4

Here's a M1917 helmet stamped ZA 248 has a repo liner made by Prairie Flower Leather Co also has painted on

the front of helmet a Clover and Circled 89.

ZA 248 (1).jpg

ZA 248 (2).jpg

ZA 248 (3).jpg

• Like 4

Hi,
another US M1917 that I found in the Netherlands. It came from a scrap metal sale. The liner is MvO stamped (Dutch war ministry), which would date it's use to around mid-late 50ies. Probably used with a Disaster Relief unit of the Army or Civil Defense.
The manufacturer stamp is ZC223, although the 3 is hard to read.
Rgds Clement  

IMG_6397.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Good Sunday morning,

New guy here with some helmet questions.  I have had these 2 Brodie style helmets for some time and cannot identify them, as you can see the stampings are pretty obscure ( my lack of photo skills don't help), I did remove the existing felt pad and decaying liner from one and replace with a repro from Prairie leather. but kept the original liner.  I am also curious about the "dimple" in one helmet.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

Hello Panzerman, welcome to the forum. I can't seem to open your pictures, could you reload them? I will try my best to help you identify your helmets. Prairie Flower makes very good products, I have restored several helmets with their products. 

• Like 3

Hi Panzerman, welcome to the forum :thumbsup: I'm afraid your images are in the new .heic format, they need to be jpgs. The .heic format is the new format for images on Apple iOS 11 but is not really supported yet on many platforms. I had to change the format on my new iphone, this can easily be done, please see below. Also I think there is an app to change .heic images to jpegs, although I found it much easier just to change the settings on my iphone so all pictures are  transferred in jpeg format.   

How do I convert iPhone photos to JPEG?

Open the Settings app and tap Photos. Scroll down to the bottom option, headed 'Transfer to Mac or PC'. You can choose either Automatic or Keep Originals. If you choose Automatic, iOS will convert to a compatible format, ie Jpeg.

• Like 5

Thank you gentlemen, I will repost viewable photos this evening

• Like 4

Ok fellas, 

The helmet with dimples is the one I replaced the liner in and has the markings under the brim that are very difficult to see. The other helmet is a bit easier and while it’s liner is not perfect it was not rotting and the felt did not look like a biohazard.  I would be delighted if you all could identify them 

Thank you

J

195FC0FA-C878-45F7-BD89-289C3F756F64.jpeg

8C142B68-5892-4D33-B380-37E8B8F986B7.jpeg

66384A60-E583-46B3-ABC5-5C3F610D1F29.jpeg

04E45F35-F06B-4C85-9507-BFBFC0098BD2.jpeg

78B16AA2-F484-4E1E-9127-11AC4DA64946.jpeg

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum Panzerman, the first helmet is British made and stamped H.V. 306

H = W.Hutton & Sons Ltd of Sheffield ( Manufacturer )

V = Vickers Ltd of Sheffield ( Steel Supplier )

306 being the batch number of steel used.

Second helmet looks like a M1917 American made I can make out the letter Z and maybe a B 

Followed by two numbers maybe a 3 or 8 then a 6 try rubbing on some talc to enhance the 

stamp marks.

Hope this helps.

• Like 5

Good eye Leon, the second helmet is definitely a US M1917, like you said try some baby powder to enhance the numbers. You can always try to lightly sand the area to see what the stamp is. Sometimes the dimple look is from the manufacture process, where the steel was molded, I have several that look the same. Or it could be a result of use in the field. 

• Like 5

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate it!  Were the British and American helmets made to same standards, they look identical to my untrained eye and the original liners or at least the liners that were in the helmets when I procured them were the same.  The Talc did the trick it would seem? Is it ZC36?

215322C5-03B5-4113-AAC4-B6B1096D1379.jpeg

• Like 5

Definitely "ZC" marked, possibly 36 or an 86. Sometimes it can be hard to tell as the stamps get worn over time. Although the helmets looked more or less alike they were made differently. The US helmets had a different chin lug which was riveted, the British version had a split pin. Different grades of steel were used, with the US versions being slightly stronger. outside, the helmets had different paint colors, textures and liners as well. 

• Like 4

Thank you once again, I learned something today

• Like 5

Glad the talc worked for you Panzerman, if you watch the 5 minute film on page 1 of this post

you will learn a bit more about the M1917 helmet, the film has no sound but well worth watching.

• Like 4

Hey guys, I know nothing about helmets, but I found a box of different helmets, I’m thinking they are WWII era but I’m not sure.  I took a few photos of the helmets and markings that I found and was hoping someone could help me with identifying them.

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum Mbonney, if you post the photo's we will try and identify them for you.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2019 at 15:43, Gildwiller1918 said:

Here we have a US M1917, marked "UC 319" This helmet is complete with the liner, chinstrap and padding. 

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

found a helmet buried in my garden. Hadn’t seen the light of day for a long time. I have cleaned and restored it and it has been doing the rounds in my local grand kids schools as part of Remembrance Day. 

Will post pictures later - it has a stamp on the rim SR50757.

Hopefully someone can help identify it .

• Like 4

Hello Nick, welcome to the forum. I believe what you have is a post WW2 Dutch civil defense helmet. These all have markings along the outer rim as yours has. Hopefully Leon will glean more information for you.

• Like 5

Welcome Nick, I agree Its Dutch made the main maker of Dutch post war helmet shells was the

firm of Verblifa. I think this shell is most likely Army issue than Civil Defence.

• Like 4