US WW1 and WW2 Brodie Helmets and Maker Stamps

leon21

I'm right there with you Leon on the memory!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'd like to ask your help identifying and dating the components of an M1917 / M1917A1 helmet that I own.  The helmet is stamped with heat lot ZA226, indicating manufacture by the Crosby Manufacturing Co. of Buffalo, NY. Is there any way to approximate the manufacturing date based on that lot number? My second question deals with what I assume is a maker's mark on the suspension. It looks like a very neat and tiny E.T.P.  At first, I thought this to read E.T.R, but upon closer inspection I believe that the "R" is actually a P followed by a period.  This looks too neat to have been done by a soldier. Is this a maker's stamp, and if so, can we identify the maker?

20240108_170715.jpg

20240109_114752.jpg

• Like 4

The helmet shell was made for use in WW1, as the US ramped up production of war materials such as helmets, we used British made ones. After the war ended, we had a surplus of materials that were sold off or put into storage. These helmets were used until new ones could be made for the 1917A1 liner. As far as the lettering goes, it is my opinion they were for the user at the time. It is very common for soldiers to mark their gear. It does appear neatly done, but if you magnify the image, you can see the lines on the letter E are not consistent with say a punch or a stencil. 

• Like 3

Found another M1917 shell, this one is marked 217 ZD.

IMG_20240111_165806103_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240111_165759267_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240111_165814462_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

By the way I used a chalk stick to highlight the letters/numbers. It wipes off easily and does not mess up the metal or finish.

• Like 3