US WW1 and WW2 Brodie Helmets and Maker Stamps

leon21

On 10/12/2020 at 16:18, Edoguy1305 said:

This one is a 36th Division, with YJ 55.

Interestingly, the IV symbol under the liner pad has been found on one other YJ series helmet. No idea what it means.

File_004 (1).jpeg

It's not an IV, it's an N.  These were from a lot that initially failed ballistic tests, but were later approved for issue.

Some YJ helmets from this lot number range can be found with a painted P inside.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I have a WWI Doughboy (Brodie) Helmut Model M1917 (stamped) Z 0181 and has a small white letter "A" inside of a red square on the front of the Helmut. I have seen them for sale with felt liners, some with straps, and some missing straps. The under-side is in great shape with green paint. The outside looks like most of all I have seen in fair shape. Just wondering, does the "A" stand for Army or Artillery? 

• Like 3

Welcome Rondo, could you post  photo's of the helmet marks and insignia please.

• Like 2

Hello Rick77, perhaps your marking is a ZD? This would be a US stamp for the M1917. Try using baby powder to enhance the stamp.

• Like 3

Hello again Rondo, the US 3rd Army used a white letter A on their insignia , could be a unit belonging

to the 3rd Army?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I recently inherited my Grandfathers helmet from WW1 and would like to get your advice on how best to restore (mostly reduce the rust). Stamped ZB45 and I see some green paint inside but that could be from the decades of kids who played with the helmet.  Still has leather strap and just the top felt pad.   Grandpa always said the dent in the helmet was caused by a German  bullet, but because he was only stationed in Washington State and NC before being medically discharged, this story has been “somewhat” discredited 🙄.   

what should I use to remove the rust and should I remove the felt pad so I can throughly clean inside?

Thanks

Paul - Spokane Wa

• Like 3

Welcome Paul, try using a damp cloth to remove as much of the loose rust as you can then dry with

a clean dry cloth. Some people use a bit of bees wax on a cloth after to prevent further rust, I would

leave the felt pad a lone the best way to prevent rust is to store it in a dry place.

hope this helps.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a helmet stamped AD 179.  Liner and most of chin strap is there.  Can anyone tell me what I have?  Thanks in advance.  Eric.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum Kiktoff, could you post some pictures please 

• Like 2

Welcome Eric, this could be a British made Helmet? can't tell for sure without Photo's.

• Like 2

Hey! New to the group - looking for any information on my great grandfather's WW1 helmet. Believe it to be British made but can't find anything online regarding the heat stamp. Appreciate the help! 🍻

20220719_172153.jpg

20220719_172252.jpg

20220719_172215.jpg

20220719_172243.jpg

20220719_172232.jpg

20220719_172223.jpg

20220719_172140.jpg

• Like 5

It's definitely a British Mk I helmet.  I don't think FKS has been definitively pinned down, but most sources say it represents Firth & Sons Ltd.  The insignia is for the US 77th Division.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

TimG what’s the name of your great grandfather? I have a data base of 77th Veterans and can tell you what company/regiment he served in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey, we're not sure if it's my grandmother's or grandfather's father's helmet - but their names are Pasquale Gianinni and Adjutor Goddu. Thank you!

Also, if anyone has any information about the 69th Division in WW2 and Korea I'm also trying to learn more about my grandfather: Paul E Goddu, Sr. We have some information and photos but always interested on learning more. Understandably he spoke very little about his time in the wars.

Thanks very much! 

20200911_132941.jpg

20200911_133129.jpg

20200911_132836.jpg

20200911_132601.jpg

20200911_132606.jpg

20200911_132606.jpg

Screenshot_20200825-224038_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200825-224128_Drive.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2022 at 23:16, 77thDivision said:

TimG what’s the name of your great grandfather? I have a data base of 77th Veterans and can tell you what company/regiment he served in. 

Hi, just curious if you had any luck?!

• Like 4

Hi Tim,

perhaps send him a personal message, he may have forgotten the location of this thread. Let us know if you have any luck.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Picked this up a few days ago, nice M1917A1 helmet. Only missing the liner drawstring, otherwise complete, heat stamp "10C". 

IMG_6358.JPG

IMG_6360.JPG

IMG_6361.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

• Like 4

I have a replacement leather drawstring on the way now as well. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Odd so many are after helmets with missing liners, do most collect by makers  heat stamp numbers? I can see going after a painted one lacking a liner, but so many remain intact.  Most of the incomplete helmets make nice shades for a Victory lamp.

Here is one helmet I got from a neighbor the other day  ZC 191. In the US they still are found in attics and basement junk clean ups.  Now a  WW I uniform is somewhat a great find.   That does not happen too often.  This helmet ID post is a great resource on this forum. Outstanding. Thanks to all. image.thumb.jpeg.50859f1b9fda8429f1ebd1a81e4b6ef0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f90f69bc7fe77ecbb35bd433e1c75ad2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.578d9f22dc2306ef67a3924909e0d469.jpeg

• Like 4

From my experience collecting these helmets is that unless they were stored properly and cared for, the liners deteriorate quickly. The wood pad gets eaten up by moths and leather dries and falls apart, leaving only remnants of the liner. 

• Like 3

Rightmire, the heat stamp on your helmet indicates it is a US made M1917 helmet. ZF was a manufacture code, and the 41 was for a lot/batch number. 

• Like 3