WW2 German side cap

Gildwiller1918

Here is my WW2 German Army enlisted side cap, dated 1941. Small sized as usual for that time. The eagle is stitched to the exterior and does not go through the liner.

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

• Like 4

Nice condition, still has the early dark green insignia, here hand-stitched. Normally these caps had a  coloured "Soutachewinkel" over the cockade. These were discontinued as from 7/1942, or removed.

• Like 3

I kind of liked the soutache idea, I have seen pictures of German troops in Russia wearing them on the side caps late into 1942, but then again they had other priorities. I imagine some had a hard time letting go. 

• Like 4

As far as I know, they were generally removed at the front, and otherwise no longer produced. I have an Afrikakorps type, where the Soutache has clearly been removed.
Springpfeil was quite a well known maker in Hamburg, at least a lot of caps can be seen made by them. I think they were around for many years after the war, still making uniform caps etc. Not sure if they are still in business.

I see now, the name has vanished out of the telephone book, there is not a single Springpfeil in Germany, not even private.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Here is a WW2 German Luftwaffe side cap, for enlisted/NCO personnel. The eagle has been removed at some point and another was installed as the stitching goes through the liner. There are remnants of an ink stamp but it is washed out now, the size is a 58. 

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

• Like 4

That's a well-worn piece, could have been in the field, such as paratroops, ground forces or field division, less likely on an airfield or administration in such worn condition.

• Like 4

Yeah, looks like it has seen some action, unfortunately don't know anything about its history. 

• Like 4