WW2 German Field Gear

Gildwiller1918

Yeah, got 'em both. 

IMG_4874.JPG

• Like 4

Nice set does justice to the item. Make sure no rust gets at them, maybe better to store textiles separately.

• Like 4

On 14/08/2019 at 03:43, Gildwiller1918 said:

Here is a WW2 German M38 Gas Mask and carrying case. Probably one of the more iconic parts of the german field gear. This case is dated 1943. The mask is dated 1944. I got the mask from a museum that was closing down, it has never been used, only on display. Also shown is the aluminum gas mask retainer frame. These were used while in garrison to help stretch the masks to the shape to be worn. Also shown is a skin decontamination tablet container. 

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

Seriously nice piece of kit 👌

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 14/08/2019 at 20:59, Gildwiller1918 said:

Here is a nice "Y" Strap set. The stamp is hard to see in the pictures, but reads Mainz 1942, there is something before Mainz that starts with a C or G, but it is too diffcult to make out. These seem to be getting real hard to find in good condition and not faked. 

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

Carl Zübke, Mainz - looks like the manufacturer

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Found some poles for the zeltbahn, nice condition and well marked. Just need the stakes and carrier bag. 

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG

• Like 4

Zeltheringe are the steel pegs, Zeltzubehörbeutel is the bag. I have a WW1 bag, this was hung within the Tornister. The Tornister was only a formal old-fashioned piece of equipment, after WW1 seldom worn in the field. I don't know how the tent poles etc. were carried without this.
In WW1 there was an alternative in place of the Tornister,  the Sturmgepäck (not shown here), which was a clever improvisation using 2 Brotbeutelriemen for carrying the Zeltbahn, Mantel, Kochgeschirr etc. which was hooked to the cartridge pouches at the front and then fastened at the back, "leichtes Sturmgepäck", this idea evolved just before the outbreak of WW1.

Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 63 - How to Pack the M1895 Tornister

timage006.jpg

Link below is a guide as to how the set is packed (in English), however, there are some variances, as a mixture of reproduction items, originals and similar Swiss or other European items are used, resulting in the pack not being closable.

https://www.ir63.org/packtornister.html

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Well I finally found a decent WW2 Tent pole carrier or Zeltzubehörbeutel. It has both leather straps and buttons. There is a faint stamping on the inside of the flap, but its hard to make out. Most of the ones sold here are the Swiss version being sold as German versions. I just need some nice tent pegs to go with it and a rope. The tent pegs can be hard to find in really good condition. 

IMG_5669.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

IMG_5671.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a couple of decent tent pegs or Zeltpflöcken. Typically 2 were issued with each kit. Now I just need some rope to put on them. These are the aluminum types and have some nice dates and markings on them.  The markings are: S & C 39, GA 38, and looks like A W/O R 40.

IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_5733.JPG

IMG_5734.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

• Like 4

These last ones are Zeltheringe

• Like 4

I was wondering if I got that right. Thanks Fritz. I have been looking for some nice ones for awhile now. There are so many fakes out there and reproductions. 

• Like 4