WW1 British Folding Saw

Gildwiller1918

Here are my two sets of WW1 Folding saws. The cases on both are dated 1917. Interesting pieces to say the least. I imagine these were for engineering troops, as I cannot see much use for the trench environments. The saws both come in similar cases but the saws themselves are of different construction. Anyone have more information about them? 

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

• Like 4

As well as Engineer/Pioneers, etc-. these would most certainly also have been issued to infantry, as they would have been needed in construction and maintenance of trenches etc. Similar sets were also issued to cavalry in the German armies.

• Like 3

Thanks Fritz, that makes sense. I am not not to informed on the British gear from the great war, learning though.

• Like 3

I only know the standard equipment, not too familiar with other items, but I do know that very similar saws were issued to German cavalry, apart from other troops. Most troops need tools like this in the field. Cavalrymen would also have to make a Biwak or Bivouac, as well as a keep for their horses, and some simple basic tools would be vital. Most infantry companies were of course equipped with an entrenching tool, those without an entrenching tool often carried a small pickaxe, so and so many per company, not sure of exact figure.

• Like 3