Deactivated Lewis Gun

The whole  thing is an unbelievable treasure. Thanks for posting. Most could never buy such a jewel.  I hope it goes for display trips at gun shows or your local museum so others can enjoy.   I just marvel at the demils that IMA offers.   

• Like 4

Thanks 72 USMC, I have taken it to the state history museum, parades and to re-enactments. IMA does have some nice items, a little pricey sometimes. 

• Like 3

Here are some images of the Lewis Gun in action during WW1 by US Marines. These are from the National Archives.

111-SC-009836-ac.jpg

111-SC-009832-ac.jpg

111-SC-009833-ac.jpg

• Like 3

Nice detailed image of Lewis guns in storage. I would love to have some of the ammo crates at the bottom of the image! 

111-SC-55916.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

WW1 US soldiers with the Lewis gun

R (1).jpg

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Hi, I recently found 4 of these brass lewis gun barrel jacks at an old British weapons depot. 

Would anyone have any idea on what they are worth? I can’t find any examples online.

289ECC18-E5A1-45AF-948A-B48018F194F9.jpeg

6672B84A-63EA-47AC-BC8A-CD69C65A6EAF.jpeg

BE77F414-5810-4C40-B600-11418FFDCCB5.jpeg

EC20FF13-4B97-4CAF-9827-FEE0B8EB6312.webp

47490716-2025-4965-A707-23DBC1E6B689.jpeg

• Like 4

Never seen these before, I would be interested to see what you find out.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Picked up some spare Lewis Gun oil brushes (marked VAC & VSM) that were carried in the butt stock and a 1918 dated small parts tin. 

IMG_7074.JPG

IMG_7075.JPG

IMG_7076.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to filling the spare parts pouch, shown below are 2 charging handles, 1 bolt, 1 extractor, 1 ejector cover, 1 cartridge guide spring, 1 magazine pawl spring, 1 magazine catch, 1 feed pawl, 1 gear stop, 1 magazine loading tool, 1 pull through cleaning rod and string, 1 broken shell extractor and one spring scale. There a few more odds and ends I might add to this. But it's looking pretty good so far.

IMG_7144.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

WW1 era US Marines with the Lweis gun.

lewissoldiersmall.jpg

• Like 4

On 31/12/2023 at 21:37, Gildwiller1918 said:

Finally got around to filling the spare parts pouch, shown below are 2 charging handles, 1 bolt, 1 extractor, 1 ejector cover, 1 cartridge guide spring, 1 magazine pawl spring, 1 magazine catch, 1 feed pawl, 1 gear stop, 1 magazine loading tool, 1 pull through cleaning rod and string, 1 broken shell extractor and one spring scale. There a few more odds and ends I might add to this. But it's looking pretty good so far.

IMG_7144.JPG

That’s impressive. Excellent detail, I’m sure a lot of time and energy went into putting that together 👌

• Like 1

Thank you Spitfire, I am still working on it, takes time to find all the parts and some are expensive as well. 

WW1 Portuguese Soldiers with Lweis guns

The_Portuguese_Expeditionary_Corps.jpg