Deactivated Lewis Gun

Australian Soldiers of the 28th Battalion training with the Lewis Gun, in France 1917. 

ms_8311.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting image of New York Women's Police reserves machine gun squad.  Captain Elise Reigner is manning the Lewis Gun, with Ms. Helen Striffler in the side car/rear seat, and Mrs. Ivan Earasoff driving. Photo is dated July of 1918. Second image is of the same unit in August of 1918.

Image source, internet

New-York-Citys-Women’s-Machine-Gun-Squad-Police-Reserves-July-26-1918..jpg

Womens-machine-gun.jpg

• Like 5

Flintenweiber

• Like 4

Well the image of the women with the machine gun is probably a publicity/propaganda stunt more than anything, a lot of women did really want to help with the war effort. In the U.S., women did not even have the right to vote until 1920. Any many were eager to prove they could do the work of men as well. Women also served overseas, albeit in support roles. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been searching for some time for the cloth magazine carriers, but no luck so far, however I did manage to find a company that makes a excellent reproduction, after some time it has finally arrived. It will make an outstanding addition to the display. 

IMG_5081.JPG

IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

• Like 5

British Indian Army troops practicing anti-aircraft drills with Lewis guns, 1917, Egypt.  

m0prydmcakw41.jpg

• Like 4

I got the opportunity to fire a Lewis Gun several years ago.  It was made by Savage in .303 caliber.  Recoil wasn't bad and I found accuracy acceptable given it's purpose.  The owner had four magazines, so we'd fire them and start loading magazines again.  It would empty a magazine pretty fast, even firing short bursts of four to five rounds.  It was a lot of fun!  if a transferable Lewis came available, I'd snap it up!

• Like 6

That sounds like quite an experience! I have not had the opportunity yet to fire a live one, but will be shooting my T-Gewehr soon. 

• Like 5

It certainly was.  The downside, and yes there was one, was cleaning it.  We must have gone through nearly a hundred patches. 

• Like 6

I bet it was quite filthy after firing. I can only imagine how hard it must have been in WW1 to keep the Lewis operational with the constant firing and conditions of trench warfare. Did you get any video or photos of your shoot?

• Like 5

I have pictures somewhere.  I've moved twice in the last year.  I haven't run across them yet.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Found this interesting image of a Lewis gun from WW1 and what appears to be a canvas action cover. I have had no luck finding out if there were any covers made for these or if it was an improvised item. Hopefully I can find more information at some point. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

US troops training with the Lewis gun stateside, note the folding bipod, quite different than the UK versions. This type would collapse upwards toward the shooter for transport. You can also see a lister bag on the far left, partially cut off at the edge, for holding drinking water. 

original.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Nice view of a Lewis Gun Crew, note the 2 canvas carriers off to the left of the gun which held 2 magazines. 

Image source, internet

846_001.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Here is a Lewis Gun is the anti-aircraft role, mounted onto a trailer. Note the AA aiming device forward of the pan magazine, as well as the seat with perforated holes has a push arm to where the gunner could be rotated with the gun by assistants.

4-lewis-mg-on-cygnet-trailer-with-ammo-cart-aa-sight.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Just got this in, a WW1 Lewis gun spare parts/tool kit leather carrier. I have filled the leather stampings with talcum powder to make them more visible. However they can be still hard to see in the pictures. The stampings are: 303 M.G.  W. B. & Co Ltd 1918,  other side has a crown with a E under it and a 36 (possibly) under that. Now comes the hard part, filling it up!

IMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5826.JPG

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5825.JPG

• Like 5

• Kenny Andrew featured this topic
  • 2 months later...

Nice view of the Lewis Gun during WW1. 

bf2875d01d5a8eda0e9e63cc00c381a6.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Canadian Soldier demonstrating the Lewis gun in the Anti-Aircraft role.

lewis.jpg

• Like 3

The Lewis gun was very adaptable to wartime needs, as well as being an excellent infantry weapon, it was also used on aircraft, armored vehicles as other roles. First image is of Indian soldiers in Egypt training with the Lewis gun, second image is of a DH-4 aircraft with twin guns. The aircraft had drums that were double capacity of what the infantry used. 

R.jpg

83e21ac3a1d3640419510632ffe45979.jpg

• Like 2

In WW2, the Lewis was mainly regulated to secondary lines or in homeland defense roles. Images below show English soldiers using the Lewis in anti-aircraft support positions, the quad mounted one is very interesting. 

6bob-640x493.jpg

d91b083197622a20a31199bf40e6bc2f.jpg

• Like 2

I’m not 100% sure,  but I think I have an album with similar photo’s of the quad set-up. The album is of various photos of RAF Duxford and associated views. I’ll dig it out and post the images. 

E

• Like 4

The Dutch adopted the Lewis gun in 1920, with 8,400 used during if service life.

lewis.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Gildwillwe1918:

Hello. I just had to tell you your Deactivated WW1 Lewis Gun is absolutely fantastic. Thank you very much for sharing with the Forum.

Best regards, John R.

• Like 4

Thank you John R. It took awhile to find but was worth the wait. Your items are quite amazing as well, looking forward to seeing future posts.

• Like 3

Picked up this Lewis Magazine loading tool. Broad Arrow marked. 11cm long, little over 2 cm wide, has a knurled portion for hand grips. 

IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

• Like 2