VB Grenades and cup launchers

Here is another image of the VB launcher and grenade, this time in practice in France, 1917. 

tumblr_pc2366gCOW1tw5cx9o1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

Another image of the VB in action, this time with French foreign legion troops during training in 1917. The figure at center has the VB launcher on his Lebel rifle. You can also see the leather carrier on his hip. There is also a Mle. 14 Hotchkiss machine gun visible to the left. 

tumblr_oaurcj9I3R1tw5cx9o1_1280.jpg

• Like 2

US soldiers getting training on the VB from French troops, note the crate on the ground for the VB grenades. You can see the fill plugs and brass fuses for the grenades visible  on the top row shown. This is the first image I have seen of crates for these grenades. 

tumblr_o8fau9xBVN1tw5cx9o1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

French soldier getting ready to fire a VB grenade from his Lebel rifle that is mounted to a firing platform, 1916. 

tumblr_o40zquLaFc1tw5cx9o1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

I did also recently find another French VB launcher, the pictures below show the condition, which for a dug item, is remarkably good. The split shaft still fits perfectly onto the rifle barrel and seats properly, the interior is not too pitted. I am in the process of restoring it, and will post the pictures when done. The knurled band on the exterior will present the biggest challenge. 

IMG_5037 (2).JPG

This is how it looked when I got it, rusted but still very good shape.

IMG_5040.JPG

View of the interior.

IMG_5038.JPG

View of the back end, not clear, but you can see the opening for the rifle muzzle.

IMG_20210308_154525912.jpg

Here is an image after getting all the rust and dirt off. I have used auto filler putty to fill in pits from rust, working on the knurled band is a pain, but will look nice once done. 

IMG_20210308_154542933.jpg

View of the interior with putty filling the rusted pit areas, a few more coats and sanding it will look good as new. 

• Like 4

Another image of the VB in use, no date or location for this image. Soldier firing the VB has the Lebel rifle and is loading a round before firing. The soldier on the right has the VB grenade in hand. 

2003.31.115_sm.jpg

• Like 3

Ok here are the images of the finished refurb on the VB launcher. I did not get all the knurling fixed, but it will display well enough. The launcher still fits onto the barrel and a VB grenade slides into the cup area. On the display board, its on the top. 

IMG_5098 (2).JPG

IMG_20210311_140253906.jpg

IMG_20210311_140323793.jpg

IMG_20210311_140326701.jpg

IMG_20210311_140329594.jpg

IMG_20210309_140936527.jpg

• Like 4

A U.S. soldier in the foreground has the VB launcher on his rifle, another soldier farther back has the Chauchat machine gun. These soldiers and many others were detailed out to French forces because they were black, as such, they were not quite welcome with other white U.S. units as segregation still existing in the military. However, the French openly welcomed the influx of manpower, these soldiers wore US uniforms, but wore French gear and used French weapons, mainly for logistical purposes.

180216-A-PO640-007.jpg

• Like 3

Found this interesting photo of a woman working on drilling the holes out for VB grenades. In the bin to her right you can see the finished versions with the 3 holes drilled out on the top. Of the three holes on top, two were straight and one had a threaded hole for the fill plug. 

1002338315-photo-u1.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

1916 Observation post. Grainy image, however the VB launcher is quite visible. Wartime photo's of the VB in actual use are not easy to find. 

Image source, internet. 

654_002.jpg

• Like 3

Another image, not crisp, but showing the VB launcher on the rifle, 4th on the right. Note several VB grenades in the soldiers hands.

Image source, internet

281_001.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I did recently uncover some more information regarding the VB Grenades. 

VB grenades were shipped live to the front, 50 grenades per crate. 

French made VB grenades were made at the Aubin Basin Mining and Metallurgical Company/Compagnie Minière et Métallurgique du Bassin d'Aubin.

Some of the stampings on the grenade include: "ASC", "ALF", " AF", "GM" ,"GC","FS","RS", "S", "SP", "U" , and "U" upside down. 

US based companies such as Westinghouse, Briggs-Stratton, American Radiator Company, Stewart Warner Speedometer Corporation produced the VB grenade. 

There was also a modification for firing a F1 grenade using a wood plug, 50 mm in diameter to sit inside the launcher which was secured to the F1, fuse side sitting inside the wood plug. I will post images later. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a genuine VB message grenade. Only item not real is the screw on cap, as these tended to break apart when landing. A fellow collector let me borrow his so I can make a resin copy for my collection. These are exceedingly rare, as stated earlier I have only seen one for sale in years and it was in terrible shape. 

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the resin copy, mine is on the right, original is on the left. Turned out pretty good. I don't normally like to have resin copies, I'd prefer to have the real deal, but for really hard to find items such as this, I will make an exception. That is until I find an original!

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5255.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my latest project, a reproduction crate for the VB grenades modeled off a period photo. I made a mold of a VB and made resin copies to fill the top layer in the crate, makes for a great display item. 

IMG_5286.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

• Like 3

Excellent Gildwiller are you going to stain it to give it some age ?  

• Like 3

Thanks Kenny, I'm thinking about it, I will test some different methods on scrap wood first.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Good Day All,

My first post on this forum and I'm looking forward to learning a great deal from everyone. 

I recently acquired a reproduction Mark IV Model of 1917 VB launcher for the US Model of 1917 rifle.

I've read about them over the years and jumped at the chance to own an example (even if it is a reproduction).  

This has been a great thread regarding their history and use.  

Does anyone know of any  military manuals on its use?

Regards,

Michael 

image1(1).jpeg

image2(1).jpeg

image0(6).jpeg

image1.jpeg

• Like 4

Very nice item! Looks well made. Below are some images of my 1918 dated US Manual. 

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

My Thanks to Gildwiller2918.  Throught his guidance, I was a able to find a period RIA 3-20 marked case for my cup launcher.  I'm still on the hunt for a manual a complete VB grenade example. 

image0(7) (1).jpeg

1917 with pouch.jpeg

image2.2.jpeg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

Image from the National Archives showing the manufacture of VB grenades. 

165-WW-591A-040.jpg

• Like 4

Another National Archives image showing the manufacturing process for the US made VB Grenade.

165-WW-391B-004_001.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Good Day All,

The May, 2023 edition of American Rifleman (published by the US NRA), has a 4 page article by Bruce Canfield, The V-B Rifle Grenade Launcher in World War II.  It provides a broad overview of the use, mostly USMC, of the "V-B Rifle Grenade, Mark I" and launchers , predominately 1903, in the years (i.e. 42-43) following US entry into WW2. 

Regards,

Michael 

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Copy of a period photograph which shows 2 US soldiers, one with a VB launcher and the other with a Chauchat. The soldier on the right also has a good view of the Bolo knife on his hip. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

French soldiers with Lebel rifles and VB launchers.

grenad11.jpg

• Like 2