Royal artillery badges

Buster

I got these 2 artillery  badges with these two sets of medals today (uncle & nephew set ) , my question is , what's the difference in the two ?( What's the smaller middle one for) why no crown or scrolls?

20190605_150056.jpg

20190605_150056.jpg

20190605_152932.jpg

• Like 4

The smaller badge is not a cap badge, as far as I remember, it is one of a pair of collar badges, or worn above a sergeants stipes (?) to denote a senior or staff sergeant.
The other badge has the King's Crown, pre 1953, so could be WW2 or older - of course with the medal set, WW1 - it certainly looks older.  The shoulder title is Royal Garrison Artillery.
There are at least two main types of the crowned badge, one has a revolving wheel for field artillery, the other has a static wheel as in your example, being for the foot artillery (heavy).   Officers had a badge with a dark bronze finish and usually two flat pins on the reverse.

• Like 3

Strengthening was applied to the rear of a wartime Royal Artillery cap badge according to regulations (1917 ) see image below.

img148.jpg

img149.jpg

• Like 3

I wasn't sure whether the Royal Horse Artillery had their own special badge? Haven't seen the 1916 solid badge, although it is generally known that many badges were unvoided and all brass, as 1916 wartime economy issue.  Many of the earlier badges had two or three copper loops to the rear, using split pins, they seem to be harder to find nowadays, most examples now seen have a slider. My original collection of badges had mainly the copper lugs/loops, and these were undoubtably WW1 examples.
I cannot imagine a badge with a slider fitting mounted on an overseas cap, most examples I have seen so far, were fitted with loop holes, same applys to berets of WW2 period.

• Like 3

I have doubts about it's authenticity, it looks very bright on the back compared to the front , but I ain't too bothered as all the badges came as a free  bonus with the 2 sets of medals 

20190606_144416.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I can't imagine copies of R.A. badges, they are not rare. Some badges still have a bright finish to the rear, as they were manufactured with a protective coating.  The badge could be any date up till 1953. The badge may have not belonged to the group originally, somebody may have bought it extra  to complete a set.

• Like 4

Here are two badges I have.

1st - A Territorial Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery brass with 3 lugs/loops fitting.

2nd - A Honourable Artillery Company brass with slider fitting.

And a page of other Volunteers and Territorials badges all have the basic gun design.

100_5895.jpg

100_5896.jpg

img152.jpg

• Like 4

I don't remember ever seeing Royal Horse Artillery badges before, although I've been collecting (in all fields) for more than 50 years. Did these aways have the county name or also just UBIQUE ? These are the only examples I have seen so far, quality doesn't look so good either, these are only pictures I have found, perhaps even copies?

image.png.4e77b17ecdb41cdd3c0fde63669ade6e.pngimage.png.29506c7eceb4be18b4f12228d5f15998.png

• Like 3

Here is plate 40 from the book Military Badge Collecting by John Gaylor third Edition published 1983.

Row B from left to right George V, Edward VIII, George VI, Elizabeth II badges for the Royal Horse Artillery.

The first two in w/m believed to have been worn in the foreign-service helmet and were produced under regimental arrangements.

In 1948 an official George VI pattern appeared in brass and also in w/m as did its  Elizabeth II successor in 1954, these last two were

worn in the beret.

Yes the Territorial Warwickshire and the West Riding RHA  had their own badge, as did the First Hampshire RGA Volunteers

the Third Middlesex RGA Volunteers and the Fifth London RFA Brigade.

img154.jpg

• Like 4

Here is my wartime RFA badge, the crown has been bent back to fit the cap better a common practise during WW1.

100_5900.jpg

100_5898.jpg

100_5897.jpg

• Like 3