Helmet

Mick taylor

Could anyone tell me what type of helmets these are .I think one is German ww1 not sure of the other one.The first helmet is just the shell ,rusty but no holes and plenty of metal let on the helmet.Second one has the liner and strap. Thanks MickTaylor 

DC5B0AEA-222D-4F88-9248-5AFAB7E524CD.jpeg

ADA961C1-1777-4AEE-9DAF-B7F34F20626F.jpeg

395DD6C6-640D-4D91-BC94-3A3860308FEF.jpeg

8CEED628-D747-461E-ADBE-845E3C554778.jpeg

4A362829-ABF8-4529-A80F-3693BB458BBF.jpeg

D998469A-854C-484E-AA3F-5ADA5D885DE6.jpeg

• Like 3

First helmet shell is a German M.1916 or M.1917 helmet, depending on what liner was in side. Would leave this as it is - no alerations! And store away from rust sources. The first examples were produced in Thale/Harz and introduced as a trial in small numbers on the Verdun Front in February 1916.
Look out for a makers mark inside of shell brim. Example: ET64 would stand for the maker, Eisenhüttenwerk Thale and 64 for the shell size. There were various other makers in WW1. Unfortunate that the liner is missing, but this is the case in many examples after 100 odd years. The Pickelhaube chinstrap will fit over the lugs to the inside of the brim, as that was their purpose.
The second helmet is a British M.1944 "turtle" helmet, these were introduced just in time for the Normandy landings and were intended to replace the previous Brody. Looks as though it has been overpainted black, should be a greenish or khaki finish. These were worn until replaced by the modern fibre helmets., known as "Kevlar" or similar, so it was the last of the series of British steel helmets. I'm sure somebody else could tell you a lot more.

• Like 3

Hi Mick, looks like a MK 4 Turtle helmet to me which replaced the D-Day Mk 3 helmet some time in 1945, the liner should be attached with the

detachable lift and dot release principle. Could you take a photo of the inside of the helmet for me, has it got any maker stamp marks on the inside

of the shell.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I have a Mk 4 Turtle helmet which is marked Ro co FK 4 1945, the 4 is above the 1945. Looks to be in original paint, but no liner. One thing that is different to all the others is that it has the screw type fitting on the top, not the lift the dot stud. The screw looks original, it's the same colour and the wear marks fit it exactly, but i've not heard of any Mk 4's with screw liner. Either they did make some for the earlier liners, or someone has drilled it out to fit an earlier liner, but quite a long time ago.. I know some people have fitted the screw to pretend their helmet was ww2, when it's really newer, but this has the date in it so that doesn't make sense... Regards. Gary

• Like 2

Nice German helmet, looks like it has remnants of the camo paint scheme. These are hard to find today. As Fritz suggested, I would try to preserve it best you can. 

• Like 2