How to tell if a Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class is Real or Fake?

Arran Sinclair

• 1 month later...

Hi Robert, just click on choose files under your reply and you will be able to add images. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hey Brains trust, I have used your knowledge base several times as a point of reference, it's an amazing source of learning, so that you all for that. 

I am having a bit of trouble with this particular iron cross... It is magnetic, appears to be silver backed (but tarnished of course) there is quite a bit of rust and wear around the swastica, it has one of the flat pin backs, but no markings at all that I can see. 

I think its real... but Im so dubious of these I'm not that confident. 

It came from an Aussie Vets collection with lots of Australian medals, badges, etc... There was even one of the German/African campaign medals made by the Italians for the German troops. 

I'll try to attach a couple of pictures so you can see them. 

• Like 3

Hello brains trust, 

I have often used this forum to check info, check advice, etc... but now I have to ask a question to rely on your expertise. I have an iron cross, and I think it's real, but I'm really not sure. It is magnetic, the backing looks to be silver but unmarked, it has the flat pin on the back, but again no markings. There is quite a bit of rust around the swastika in the center. Should I clean it up or leave it in as found condition? Do you folks think its a legit one or a copy? 17.8 grams 
Thanks again for all your help over the years. I hope my first foray into posting a question goes as well. 

20220601_124748[1].jpg

20220601_124800[1].jpg

• Like 4

Looks like an original, the pictures are not very clear. I would not "clean it up". Looks like someone has scratched a date at the back.

• Like 3

I'm not very keen on this cross, could just be the pictures, but usually the beading has a sweeping effect, the beading on this cross appears to be very horizontal and very vertical, can't remember seeing a maker with this feature before.    

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I am looking to buy a iron cross, the seller offered me these two options. The first one has no mark on the ring.

Could you give me your opinion to know if they are real?

Thanks a lot!!

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

m1.jpeg

m3.png

m2.jpg

• Like 4

Both examples look ok in the photos. In the first photo there is a strange flaw over the swastika, could this have been repainted? The maker's mark on the second example looks interesting, however the black finish is missing from the swastika and the date. The ribbons also look original.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would go for the first one, the maker 28 is for Eugen Schmidhäussler however these crosses are very controversial and none seem to be stamped on the ring only on the packets, they also don't look like this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was given this cross in the early 70’s, no idea where it came from originally. Feels a good weight but no idea if it’s real or fake. Would be good to find out though?

• Like 3

Hi Mol, could you post some pictures please? 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone, thanks for your support in past publications, this time I come with another cross that would like to know your point of view, the cross approved the magnet test and is made in three pieces, but I do not recognize the typeface, what do you think?

e2496db8-a93b-43d8-8fb5-f55bdb5ac4a4.jpg

5ea19ff4-5108-4c35-9ff0-25c368410fd1.jpg

40162eeb-6310-4688-b6a1-ed09270ccfdf.jpg

ef1e7b55-b88c-4bd9-9e55-cf1021f659bc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Any number on the ring?

• Like 3

The black portion of the cross looks touched up or repainted. 

• Like 4

Compare the black finish with an original.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Senter is iron, cross is in 3 pieces . 

I can't make out the stamp on the needle

Can anyone tell me if this is fake or real, and who is the maker?

HCfK0Kb.jpgHCfKciu.jpgHCfKRNS.jpgHCfKaVe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like another post war Souval I'm afraid  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What can you tell me about this, I'm suspecting fakes here too. 

Center is iron and cross is in 3 parts,its in mint condition but I can't realy read the stamp.

HCowTNt.jpg

HCowoSp.jpgHCowuDX.jpgHCowCKv.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Very unclear stamp on ring, which should not be split.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1