3rd Field Amblance, Deal Battalion, Royal Naval Division

Trevor Bulman

I am new to the Treasure Bunker so if I am not doing things correctly I hope you will bear with me.

I am trying to get as much information on my Grandfather to pas on to my kids before I pop off to see the ancestors. I am not planning to go in the near future but after a scare last year it makes you realise we are not immortal.

My grandfather served with the Royal Naval Division from Jan 1915 to Jan 1919. His name was Corporal William Bulman, Deal/3286S and he was in the 3rd Field Ambulance. I am in possession of his medals and I have managed to get a copy of his service record and his medal card. He was mentioned in dispatches whilst out in Gallipoli and I am trying to find  out what he did to deserve this mention. I am trying to get hold of the war diaries for the 3rd Field Ambulance but this is where I am struggling as I don't know what  happened to Deal Battalion. I  have been told they were amalgamated with another battalion but I don't know which one. My father told me that he seemed to remember that he was told my Grandfather was in Hood Battalion but couldn't be sure. I would greatly appreciate it if any members could help me with this as I seem to have hit a wall. Does anyone know if 3rd Field Ambulance would have their own war diaries or would they be included in one of the battalions.

Edited by Trevor Bulman
To clarify what I would like to know.
  • Like 3

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to try and help me with this. I have recently bought this book and although I haven't read it thoroughly yet I have skipped through it but could find very little information on Deal Battalion or the 3rd Field Ambulance. I also have Douglas Jerrolds book on The Royal Naval Division which I inherited from my grandfather, that isn't much help either. Any other reading matter you or any other members could suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thank you once again for your time and your help.

• Like 3