'Woodland' Camo Helmet Cover- What Year ?

PAUL BURNS

Hi.

Have been digging around in some boxes and found this helmet cover, it must of been around the 1980's time when I brought it. It's a bit worn on the edge where it's been on the helmet - Poss US helmet only?. There are slots in the cover as shown in the photo, for netting or put some undergrowth on it.

The details of the contract is shown in another photo, can any one say what year it is and was it used only on US troops .  

Thanks.

Paul Burns

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Kenny.

Many thanks for the link, I'm still trying to find my way around this side of military collecting. Right what I did find was this cover was made by the 'Minneapolis Society For The Blind' in 1978, so too late for Vietnam Period.

Checking on other web sites, some call it US Woodland M81 Pattern or Brown Dominant Highland - Woodland Pattern - so which one is right, I think I will leave it for the experts to decide.

Thanks.

Paul Burns.

• Like 2

Hi Paul, yes it's confusing, what you have is Brown Dominant Highland ERDL pattern, also known as the Leaf pattern developed by the United States Army at its Engineer Research & Development Laboratories (ERDL) in 1948 and not used until the Vietnam War. The Woodland Pattern was issued to the United States Armed Forces from 1981 so with yours being dated 1978 it has to be the Brown Dominant Highland ERDL pattern. Woodland pattern is identical to ERDL, but is printed from an enlargement of the original. The Woodland pattern was enlarged and the borders of the splotches were re-drawn to make them less regular.

Brown Dominant Highland ERDL pattern.jpg

Brown Dominant Highland ERDL pattern

Woodland pattern.jpg

Woodland pattern

• Like 2