What does this say?

CluelessTommy

A bit of an odd question that I think is a bit of a long shot but on the base of the buffer pads on a MK 5 liner? There is some writing,

DVR

Dickins

D Troop?

13 ???

The first two are clear to read the third the end is a bit smudged but I’m fairly sure it says D Troop as I can’t think of anything else, but the last one has me stumped. I know this isn’t strictly a militaria question but is was hoping someone might at least know of what the 3 letter could represent? As there is rank, name, troop, presumably something along those lines would follow. Also if anyone wants to have a go at guessing what the letters could actually be, that’s the best photo I could take and it really isn’t any clearer in real life. My best guess is S.G.A but I can’t think of what that would stand for.

Sorry for the weird question,

Regards

Jack

D79E2D30-3A20-4B90-91EB-4496A5408450.jpeg

0694C853-5D74-43D5-9996-FFD0A639AA8B.jpeg

34489A68-EE69-4D59-BF3A-E14064C48FA1.jpeg

2B3445F5-F036-4F27-8DCE-591B022F7C32.jpeg

• Like 2

If it is SGA could be something like Surry or Staffordshire or Suffolk Garrison Artillery, it's only a guess.

• Like 3

Could it be Driver  Dickins D Troop 13 Squadron? 

• Like 3

on the second picture, Dickens, looks live DVR, Driver, on the other parts, D Troop, - 13. SQN or SGA ?
without doubt

• Like 4

Thanks for all the replies,

I looked into it possibly being something beginning with s garrison artillery but from what I've read the term Garrison artillery officially went in 1924. I haven't been able find a reference of it being kept on by the former batteries, so probably isn't the case here, but I did find some interesting articles about the Royal Garrison Artillery during the first world war so I had some fun looking.

13 SQN is the most plausible at the moment so that shall be the working theory.

I've attached a better photo but the writing still isn't much clearer.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated,

Jack

A04A12A2-B0F3-437E-A8D1-64A529ABEEB4.jpeg

• Like 2

Another thing that been puzzling me is what this stands for:

INV BVB

Its on the inside of a MK IV shell that appears to of been painted light blue for the raf but then over painted red on the outside. The previous owner thought it was possibly for fire crews at the airfield but I haven’t been able to prove that as of yet. 

Anyway I haven’t been able to work out what it stands for so if anyone knows or wants to have a guess I’d appreciate it.

Regards Jack

793379C4-3F99-46A0-99C5-C62B160D00A4.jpeg

• Like 3

It could be from RAF Inverness built in 1940 which helped defend Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northern England, but not sure what the BVB would be.   

• Like 3