Helmet flash/marking

CluelessTommy

Hello all,

I have just acquired a  British MK IV helmet with this insignia on the left hand side, I believe it to be the plume of the welsh guards. Whilst I have found many pictures of helmets with cap badges and formation signs before I have not seen a plume or hackle. So basically I'm asking if anyone has seen any other helmets with hackles or plumes before? or if I'm wrong knows what this is.

1st photo: The helmet

2nd photo: The plume of the welsh guards

095FE66A-0B63-4CE1-AFA4-67C04191965D.jpeg

E1A22D63-B8A4-40C3-BA82-F5B4C8CF0C58.jpeg

• Like 3

I've never seen a plume on a helmet before as you say it's mostly cap badges or formation signs, would be interested to find out too if plumes were painted onto helmets.   

• Like 3

So far the only image I've found of a hackle or plume on a helmet, this photo is of members of the Lancashire Fusiliers and is apparently from 1916 during the battle of the Somme.

I haven't found any other insignia that look anything like the one present on the helmet above so I'm fairly certain it is a plume of some sorts. However mine is on a MK IV  so there is a little time gap and mine is of a very different style but at least it is a start.

The second image I found colourised on an reenacting groups page.

a picture showing the shocking conditions of the WW1 trenches

lf%252520in%252520trech.jpg

• Like 2

Just found this image on a south African auction site, the helmet has the colours of the welsh guards plume painted on the side of what I think is a HCRAC from the late 1930s, so solves the problem of what mine is and further shows that plumes and hackles were painted on helmets.

Regards,

Jack

Image result for welsh guards helmet

• Like 2