Second world War Target Harmonisation Posters

CluelessTommy

Here are two of the 'Street Scenes Series' of three target harmonisation posters by Beric Young,

They were used to practise coordinating the fire of members of a section to a specific target, they are to be viewed at 4-5 yards. A fire control order would be given to the men via GRIT (Group, Range, Indication, Type of fire) or the past equivalent and the shooters would then aim at that point on the poster and fire. They would use rifles with offset sights so that the rounds would not hit the posters but rather a target down range.

These are signed Beric Young 42 so are thought to of been from 1942 and by Beric young. He was self taught artist and joined the Police War Reserve in 1939, but was later moved to the ministry of information, after the war he continued to paint for a living. You can read a little about his life here:

http://www.bericyoung.com/beric_young_about.php

The first picture is figure 1 which unfortunately has two rips horizontal rips in it half way up either end

The second picture is figure 2 which is in also unfortunately in 3 pieces 

The third picture is one of figure 3 that I found on the internet

704B60F1-DF4F-4CCD-AAB1-EA619AF3B5B4.jpeg

FD070831-E8C0-43A7-91E7-9C8836DCDB12.jpeg

43DA8A34-633D-4833-86CE-A079603983F6.jpeg

• Like 3

Sounds complicated.

• Like 3

It may take a bit of set up time however it allows practise and testing of a vital skill that otherwise would only be possible on a live fire exercise, so the training value far out weighs the hassle of setting it up.

• Like 4

I'm sure I have a couple of these somewhere in the basement of my shop, however the ones I have are of desert scenes, I had no idea what they were, must try to dig them out sometime. 

• Like 3

It would be nice to see those, I have only seen ones of countryside and city scenes before. They possibly would of been even more useful than the other types due to the lack of home grown deserts to practice in and the lack of prominent features that could be used as indicators.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I'll try to find them Tommy when I get a spare moment :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

• Kenny Andrew pinned this topic

Finally found them Tommy, it's true you never know what you might find hidden away in the Bunker 😀  have just added them to the on-line shop so will post them here too.    

WW2 British Middle East Target Harmonisation Poster

WW2 produced and used to practice coordinating the firing of members of a section to a specific targets.Very rare as few of these remain.Printed  by J.Weiner Ltd London.From a War Office design and Crown Copyrighted.These details are to bottom left corner,printed on bottom right corner is 'Middle East Fig 3'. Fold lines throughout and some tears.Very rare.

2061b-zoom.jpg

2061a-zoom.jpg

2061c-zoom.jpg

2061d-zoom.jpg

2061e-zoom.jpg

2061f-zoom.jpg

• Like 3

WW2 British North West Frontier Target Harmonisation Poster

WW2 produced and used to practice coordinating the firing of members of a section to a specific targets.Very rare as few of these remain.Printed  by J.Weiner Ltd London.From a War Office design and Crown Copyrighted.These details are to bottom left corner,printed on bottom right corner is 'North West Frontier Fig 3'. Fold lines throughout and some tears.Very rare.Size 60 inches x 24 inches.

2110a-zoom.jpg

2110b-zoom.jpg

2110c-zoom.jpg

2110d-zoom.jpg

2110e-zoom.jpg

2110f-zoom.jpg

2110g-zoom.jpg

2110h-zoom.jpg

2110i-zoom.jpg

• Like 3