Gebirgsjäger ski goggles identification

Brodie

Hello everyone,

I would like to know whether this is a pair of german ski troops goggles. Do you have any wartime period photo of a german soldier wearing them? 

Many thanks

20181114_171203.jpg

20181114_171244.jpg

20181114_171656.jpg

• Like 2

Could very well be, I've seen goggles like this on sale before (snow goggles you could say - Schneebrille), could well be of German make - certainly from that period.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fritz said:

Could very well be, I've seen goggles like this on sale before (snow goggles you could say - Schneebrille), could well be of German make - certainly from that period.

Many thanks Fritz as always 👏. They are pretty interesting to wear.

Is there any graphic example out there showing a german soldier wearing them, or any museum reference?

Thanks

• Like 2

Try looking through internet, I'm sure you'll find something similar. I don't think collectable militaria should be worn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fritz said:

Try looking through internet, I'm sure you'll find something similar. I don't think collectable militaria should be worn.

Yes, I've found examples in different stores and web sites, but what I've never seen is an actual german soldier using them.

Haha Fritz, that was funny. Hope you don't think I use this item skiing on holidays. I said how interesting it is looking through them. Naturally they are part of my colection and for display purpouses.

Regards

• Like 3

Yes that is strange I have never seen any being worn in period photographs either. Apparently they are 2nd pattern Gebirgsjäger goggles based on goggles used by Eskimos to prevent snow blindness. Apparently similar goggles were used by the French and the Italians during WW1 .

snow.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kenny andrew said:

Yes that is strange I have never seen any being worn in period photographs either. Apparently they are 2nd pattern Gebirgsjäger goggles based on goggles used by Eskimos to prevent snow blindness. Apparently similar goggles were used by the French and the Italians during WW1 .

snow.jpg

Thank you Kenny, I didn't know they could be 2nd pattern goggles. And great photo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1