CluelessTommy

• 2 weeks later...

How about this Mk 3 Turtle, stamped 1945. Any ideas on the colour scheme? I'm assuming a post war addition? Regards

mk3.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Gary, interesting colour scheme not come across that one before?

• Like 3

Bought another Mk3 helmet at a fair today. The net isn't original and it's been repainted rather poorly. It's been a few different colours; started the typical green, then there's a brighter green, then there's sand colour, then black, then a light blue and finally the green it is now... It's obviosuly had many lives. The liner is dated 1952 so that's not original but most don't seem to still have original liners in. I didn't pay much at least..

IMG_20210606_201451_285.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for posting the photo Gary, yes the blue colour is from the 1950s hence the 50s liner, most likely refurbished in the 50s.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/05/2021 at 22:29, leon21 said:

Ok Gary let us know if you find one.

Found the makers marks, Visible is: MB MkIII 1944, i'm assuming it'll be BMB. While sanding i've also found that the original colour appears to be sand.. I didn't know they did Mk3 helmets in sand, but this one looks to be?? 

IMG_20210624_162416_920.jpg

IMG_20210624_184508_625.jpg

• Like 4

Yes there were British troops serving in Palestine from 1945 to 1948, I have a GSM medal for

a signalman who was there in 1947 so  I'm sure their helmets would be a sandy colour.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leon21 said:

Yes there were British troops serving in Palestine from 1945 to 1948, I have a GSM medal for

a signalman who was there in 1947 so  I'm sure their helmets would be a sandy colour.

I wonder where in 1944 would have had sand coloured ones, and it's been over-painted in standard green, presumably during the war. 

Just revealed the makers mark for my other MkIII helmet which says BMB 1945  G10 MkIII

• Like 2

Possibly North Africa, Egypt, Suez Canal area The British were in those areas for the duration

of WW2.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, leon21 said:

Possibly North Africa, Egypt, Suez Canal area The British were in those areas for the duration

of WW2.

Oddly my other MkIII helmet started off green and was over-painted in sand, so, presumably, that went on to somewhere else.

Now I need to decide whether to keep original-ish and paint it sand, our display really needs it to be green. Thanks

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My latest, a MkIV stamped RO&CO ZJ 4 1945. The liner is also stamped 1945 but the maker is not visible. This must have been unissued as it's too good, presumably late 45 as it has the lift the dot liner so missed the war. Thanks

IMG_20210715_161453_515.jpg

IMG_20210715_161619_957.jpg

IMG_20210715_161723_324.jpg

• Like 4