Sächsische Herzogtümer - Thüringische Staaten, Decorations

Großherzogtum Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach

Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen für Kriegsverdienste mit Schwerterspange, 1914
Solid silver medal of the Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen with date 1914 and swords clasp. To the front is the portait in heavy relief of the Grand Duke. Inscription: Wilhelm Ernst Grossherzog von Sachsen. The reverse bears the inscription "DEM VERDIENST" over 1914 with a wreath of oakleaves. Reverse is fitted with a simple pin for wear, mounted on correct ribbon in the colours of the state.

Dienstauszeichnung 3. Klasse, 1913-18, silvered bronze alloy medal, the reverse identical to the Prussian Version, the averse with the Monogram WE under crown circumscribed: Treue Dienste bei der Fahne, on correct ribbon.

grafik.thumb.png.4842ec95438d5611a7f37655dbb38319.png

grafik.thumb.png.79eb1b8d51d502be4e4c72b6248769b3.png

• Like 4

ErnestinischerHO.JPG

Ernestinischer2.JPG

Sächsische Herzogtümer:
Gemeinsamer Ernestinischer Haus Orden 1833,  Ritterkreuz 2. Klasse mit Schwertern
Silver, Enamels, Medaillons Gold
Joint decoration of:
Sachsen-Altenburg
Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha
Sachsen-Meiningen

Entry in Archive Thüringen / Ritterkreuz II.Klasse des Ernestinischen Hausordens:

https://www.archive-in-thueringen.de/de/findbuch/view/searchterm/Martius/submit/submit/page/2/bestand/27866/systematik/97915/archivgut/2421634/searchall/Martius

Oberleutnant des Infanterie-Regiment Bremen (1. Hanseatisches) Nr. 75, z. Zt. Feld-Flieger-Abteilung Nr. 9
Roos

• Archivalien-Signatur: 20269
  • Bestandssignatur: 2-99-4004
  • Datierung: 14. Dezember 1914

Staatsministerium Dep. I Loc. 11 Nr. 5 Vol. 111 S. 127 RS, 131; Staatsministerium Dep. I Loc. 11 Nr. 69 S. 150; Staatsministerium Dep. I Loc. 11 Nr. 20 Vol. 14 Bl. 301

*Eugen Roos. I first met Eugen Roos in Hamburg in 1975, who lived in the Bundesstraße. He told me a few brief details of his war days. Served with Infanterie-Regiment Bremen, transferred to Flying Corps. In WW2 he was a major of the Luftwaffe, at the end of the war prisoner of the Americans. I did not know which decorations he had. This entry I found by coincidence.

grafik.thumb.png.072d43807368ffcc2718f6dd121ad0c9.png

grafik.thumb.png.c6f055e14b3f04eac21b24ff160c4248.png

Herzogtum Sachsen-Altenburg

Medaille für Verdienst im Kriege, 1914. Zinc in place of the earlier bronze examples. Averse bears the monogram of E II. for Ernst Duke of Saxony-Altenburg beneath a crown. Reverse with a maltese cross with a central shield bearing the arms of Saxony, beneath a crown, on correct original ribbon.

Herzogtum Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha

Ovale Silberne Carl-Eduard Medaille. Oval crowned solid silver  medal bearing the portrait of Carl-Eduard, Duke of Saxony-Coburg and Gotha. Inscription:
Carl Eduard Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg u. Gotha. Reverse bears the Grand coat of arms without any inscription. This medal was often awarded with a sword clasp bear the dates 1914/15, etc., the year awarded.  The medal was also awarded in bronze for War Services, on a different ribbon. Mounted for wear and removed from a medal bar.

Herzogtum Sachsen-Meiningen

Medaille für Verdienst im Kriege, 1914. Bronze medal, the averse bearing a cross with a central monogram "B" for Bernhard Duke of Saxony-Meiningen. Between the arms of the cross are Ducal crowns. The medal is edged iwith oakleaves. The reverse bears the same cross, but with a central medaillon with the Saxon arms. Edge inscription reads: Für Verdienst im Kriege 1914/15. On correct original ribbon, with a small roll of matching miniature ribbon, sealed in cellophane.

Sächsische3.png

image.png.86832f1fb753d1c60bd4e153ac29bcde.png

SachsenCoburgGotha1917.jpg

A more detailed photo of the Medal of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha and Schwerterspange 1914/16 and 1914/17 (internetphotos)

• Like 4

Fürstentum Reuß, Ältere und Jüngere Linie gemeinsam

Silberne Verdienstmedaille mit Schwertern am Ring für Kriegsverdienste. Silver service medal with swords for war service. Joint award of the older and younger lineage of the Principalities of Reuß (Reuss). The averse bears the monogram H and R for Heinrich Prince of Reuss. On short length of correct original ribbon.

Fürstentum Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt and Fürstentum Schwarzburg-Sondershausen

Gemeinsame Kriegsauszeichnung of those two states for 1914. Silvered bronze medal, averse with a crowned double monogram "G" for Prince Günter, Regent for both states, over "1914". Reverse bears the inscription: VERDIENST IM KRIEGE within a laurel wreath. On correct original ribbon.

grafik.thumb.png.e6c645dfbc15c8e3fb177c387a31b6d6.png

grafik.thumb.png.0cbeace6b447cb4dbb27818ccc39d572.png

*Fürstentum Reuß:  Rittmeister Prinz Heinrich XXXVIII,
*6.11.1889 - 22.3.1918+  beim 1.MGK/3. J.R.83,
Verwundet, Samogneux, 21.3.1918, + 22.3.1918 im Lazarett Liny a.d.Maas

• Like 4

• Fritz pinned this topic
  • 6 months later...

image.thumb.png.12720a6341f5b2c3d42ad50f96fe1074.png

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Ritterkreuz II.Klasse des Ernestinischen Hausordens / Entry in Archive Thüringen, persons:

https://www.archive-in-thueringen.de/de/findbuch/view/searchterm/Martius/submit/submit/page/2/bestand/27866/systematik/97915/archivgut/2421634/searchall/Martius

Oberleutnant des Infanterie-Regiment Bremen (1. Hanseatisches) Nr. 75, z. Zt. Feld-Flieger-Abteilung Nr. 9
Roos

• Archivalien-Signatur: 20269
  • Bestandssignatur: 2-99-4004
  • Datierung: 14. Dezember 1914

Staatsministerium Dep. I Loc. 11 Nr. 5 Vol. 111 S. 127 RS, 131; Staatsministerium Dep. I Loc. 11 Nr. 69 S. 150; Staatsministerium Dep. I Loc. 11 Nr. 20 Vol. 14 Bl. 301
---------------
Feld-Flieger-Abteilung 9

Mathias Gaibler, Walter Glaser (1) Horst von Hippel (1), August Joly, Otto Zimmer-Vorhaus (+ 1945),

KEK III (Kampfeinsitzerkommando)

Wolfgang Heinemann, Max Immelmann,

5. August 1914, Aachen:
Oblt. Roos, Lt. d. R. Caspar, Lt. Zech, Lt. Peltzer, Oblt. Zimmer-Vorhaus, Oblt. Klein, Oblt. Joly, Oblt. Kaltenborn-Stachau.

Oblt. Rodewaldt flog auf Fokker E 6/15 'Habicht'

------------

*Eugen Roos, Major a.D.:  I first met Eugen Roos,  who lived in the Bundesstraße, Hamburg in 1974.  He told me a few brief details of his war days. Served with Infanterie-Regiment Bremen, transferred to Flying Corps. In WW2 he was a major of the Luftwaffe, at the end of the war prisoner of the Americans. I did not know which decorations he had. This entry I found by coincidence. Herr Roos made a very modest impression, and was very active as a pensioner, taking evening courses for various scientific themes and EDV-computer technology at the university, etc.

Feldflieger-Abteilung 9 war dem IV. Armee-Korps zugeteilt.

image.png.c32e3ee908f52df9bf8f75025f3f31a9.png

ffa9.jpg

A photo of NCO ranks of Feldflieger-Abteilung 9. There are no officers in this picture. Taken on 27.1.1915. The unit was raised on 1.8.1914 from 1. Komp. Flieger-Bataillon 3 in Köln.  On 11.1.1917 it was renamed Fliegerabteilung 9

ffa9b.jpg

K800_img304

• Like 4

Improved pictures added throughout

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Some medals from Thuringian States are rare. One of them is the Reuß War Merit Cross. My exemplar is complete with its box. Less than 400 were produced. You can find more information about this medal in the paper I have published in December 2022 in the review "Iron Cross".

20221027_153940.jpg

20221027_154058.jpg

Lt dL Arthur Hering.jpg

• Like 4

To continue the subject about Thuringian States. I want to show you the knight cross 2nd class with swords of White Falcon of Saxe-Weimar. The researchers have found less than 600 officers who received this cross. But like the sources are not completed, it is said that less tahn 100 crosses were awarded during WW1

P-9I19CT0051 (2).JPG

P-9I19CT0051 (4).JPG

P22ICT0041 (37).JPG

PICT0133.JPG

• Like 4

Very nice specimens, thank you for posting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind words.

Here I want to show you the Saxe Meiningen cross for merit in war wit its original box.The box is not common at all. 3975 crosses were awarded during WW1.

SMK (1).jpg

SMK (2).jpg

Etui (1).jpg

Etui (2).jpg

• Like 4

Years ago, I was lucky enough to buy this one on a military show here in France. This box is not in good condition like the one above, but it is complete with medal and ribbon bar to a Saxon officer (probably from IR, or R.I.R. Nr. 133 whose Chef was the Duke of Saxe Meiningen). 142 Saxon officers received this exact combo during WW1. So it is impossible to id it correctly. At the end of the war the colour of the cross has changed from bronze to chocolate.

Christophe

PICT0005.JPG

SMK 1.jpg

• Like 4

Hello

I would like to show you another medal from Reuß. The cross of honor 3rd class with swords. Like the Archive were destroyed in 1945, we have no exact numbers of awards. We can have a little idea witht he Reichswehr Ranglisten from 1925 to 1932. But is it not enough. And even the history unit of several regiment have been published, nothing inside gave information about this cross.

RE3X (8).JPG

RE3X (4).JPG

RE3X (9).JPG

• Like 4

Here I have a very nice ribbon bar which belonged to Major Kurt Schunke who finished the war at the head of the FAR Nr. 44. I know only two ribbon bar with date on the Carl Eduard ribbon. This one and the ribbon bar of von Selle (commander of IR 95)

Schunke received the Hohenzollern knight cross with swords but he choose not to wear on his ribbon bar but at the buttonhole of his tunic.

Christophe

00001.jpg

• Like 4