Brodie

High quality color photographs. British side

Many thanks to all of you. Outstanding pictures 👏👏👏

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CluelessTommy said:

Sailor wearing a steel helmet, carrying a Bren gun (No Date)

Taken by an official Royal Navy photographer

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.232678495.1968479592.1543949112-878734960.1540329226

What a shot! 👏

• Like 4

Yes it is, I looked through a fair few but that one really stood out

• Like 3

A German Tiger tank on its side in a ditch, North of Rome, and an american lorry in the background driving past (18 June 1944)

A.R. Tanner (captain) 

wonky panzer.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CluelessTommy said:

A German Tiger tank on its side in a ditch, North of Rome, and an american lorry in the background driving past (18 June 1944)

A.R. Tanner (captain) 

wonky panzer.jpg

Great photo, indeed.

Thanks!

• Like 3

The webbing worn here looks very like the WW1 pattern, or is this a special pattern for the Navy?
(I mean the naval picture with the Bren Gun)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fritz said:

The webbing worn here looks very like the WW1 pattern, or is this a special pattern for the Navy?
(I mean the naval picture with the Bren Gun)

I cannot comment directly on the set being worn in the picture as I am no expert in webbing however I did find this bit of information on a site about First World War Navy kit:

'The 1908 rifle sets were produced in vast numbers during the Great War becoming the standard British Army infantry set but their only WW1 Naval use was by the land based khaki clad Royal Naval Division later in the conflict, the R.N.D. force sent to defend Antwerp in 1914 wore blues and Victorian/1901 webbing, post 1920 the 1908 set entered full Naval use with surplus Army stocks equipping the Royal Navy throughout the 1920s and 30s and well into WW2.'

'The 1908 pattern showed the way forward for webbing sets so at the conclusion of the great war a new pattern of canvas sets was contracted from Mills for both rifles and revolvers for the royal navy, due to severe financial constraints procurement was very slow leading to at least one re-issue of the 1901 revolver sets and due to the availability of surplus 1908 rifle sets the 1919 pattern production concentrated on revolver sets so the  intended 1919 rifle sets were never needed'

From this information and what you have said the set in the photo is probably a 1908 army pattern of webbing that was used by the navy after being surplussed by the army, the navy did try to create their own webbing but did not have enough money to do so.

That's a fair amount of information, I only know the WW1 and WW2 standard webbing, I also know the Victorian whitened buff leather slightly, but that's it.