Upcycling - Yay or Nay

rankfilm

Hello all

I've recently been given a couple of historical items (an ammo box and first aid tin) that have seen better days.

As a result, I decided to upcycle them turning them into a clock and lamp.

I thought I'd share them as I was interested in gauging opinion on upcycling - sacrilege or saving?

IMG_20180908_082235.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good Rank and not that rare an item so probably not sacrilege, I do think the clock arms would look better weathered as they kind of look too new compared to the rest of the clock. Plus some numbers around the edge might look quite good too. 

• Like 1

YMuch appreciated, I like the idea of aging the hands thanks for the idea Kenny.

Here's the lamp I mentioned as well (the ammo box was rusted through underneath as it had been sitting in water)

IMG_20180908_131159.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good, yes post some pictures of the clock with aged hands and maybe numbers around the edge in black or red. I like the lamp too, what would be even cooler is if you found an old damaged helmet you could use it as a lamp shade :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That would be cool! Funny you should say that as I was thinking about taking a punt on this pickelhaube shell if i could get it for around £50.

I'm toying with the idea of restoring with repro parts as the original helmets are out of my price range. Any idea if the shell is legit and if it's worth £50? Should I be looking for makers marks like ww2 helmets?

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Rank, the shell looks original and is probably worth £50 , these were not maker marked but sometimes would have unit markings to the rear inner visor. I would not use it for the lamp though as the leather would dry out and might even be a fire hazard, would be better with a metal helmet :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

image.png.ea9efc87816a8408593aa565ace53819.png

Would certainly not use this for anything else other than a helmet. It is almost certainly original, but has no hole fittings for a spike or emblem. There are the holes at the sides for fixing the the side posts for the leather chinstrap, there is one hole in the middle towards the top and certainly one or two more behing for fitting a white metal or brass comb, so this is probably a former fire brigade helmet of well-pre WW2 vintage, or pre 1934, later steel helmets were issued to the fire brigades. If you are able to find correct fitting parts such as the comb crest and chinstrap etc., might be worthwhile for a max of 50 pounds I would say - see whether the original leather liner is still present. Here are some examples, others may have had no badge at all. 

image.png.56c3036e799e97cdc5bb38781fe07611.pngimage.png.8d2d5a61479cce4f1ff160d6874b60d5.pngimage.png.5a49dc5a4dc1997ac9cbcb6be5e7d1ab.pngimage.png.b2d416cddea0fb9aa353c559f7fa2642.png

• Like 2

There was a knife/dagger in with the tins I upcycled.

It seems poorly made (guard moves about) and there's no marks/stamps on it.

Anybody have any idea what it is?

Thanks

IMG_20180909_100806.jpg

IMG_20180909_100819.jpg

IMG_20180909_100828.jpg

• Like 2

Looks new and probably "Made in India"

• Like 2