British MKII helmet

Glenn Aloisio

I have this British MKII, it looks like it use to be in all black paint but due to bad care most of it has chipped off. while trying to figure out the make and date which was heavily painted on I uncovered two small sticker like icons. It seems that there is written "PAID" and "A". I have tried to research the meaning of this but unfortunately I have found nothing close, the closest I got is a WW2 civil duty respirator with the same kind of golden border around the wording. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

british mk2.jpg

british mk2...jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Glenn, that's a nice helmet you have made by Joseph Sankey & Sons Ltd of Bilston. yes they were factory finished

in black for the Navy but also used by the civil defence services, the stickers I've not seen before were they under the paint or on top?.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leon21 said:

Welcome to the forum Glenn, that's a nice helmet you have made by Joseph Sankey & Sons Ltd of Bilston. yes they were factory finished

in black for the Navy but also used by the civil defence services, the stickers I've not seen before were they under the paint or on top?.

Hi Leon, thanks for your reply. The sticker like paint  was under and painted over with black paint. The black paint is the only layer of paint that this helmet has got.

• Like 2

I can only speculate on the stickers Glenn, it may have been bought privately from the manufacturer by a individual  and at some time later

been painted over again, the paint looks very thickly applied  and has blistered  in the drying process, is there anything to say which service

it was used  by. and can you tell me who the liner maker is please.

• Like 2

It looks like that there use to be an O on the far right side of the helmet, which is leading me to think it is a G.P.O (General Post Office) helmet. Regarding the liner, it has the pad instead of the cross and the make is vero. The date is not stamped all the way and unfortunately all you can see is 193 .

o.jpg

O gpo.jpg

vero liner.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the photo's Glenn, always nice to see liner maker marks, I would say the liner is most likely 1939 as well.

• Like 2