George Lothian Swinton

Graeme

I thought I should possibly post something from my own collection. I have undertaken a little bit of research so far with help from others, the book 'The Pipes of War' by Seton and Grant and from the notes of a future book by Dick Crawford. I first bought the medal, from a friend, as a casualty of a Private in the KOSB. Further research showed that he was in fact a Piper in the 8th Battalion, KOSB.

29828 Pte George Lothian Swinton, 7/8th Battalion, The Kings Own Scottish Borderers

George Lothian Swinton is listed as a Piper with the 8th Battalion, The Kings Own Scottish Borderers and is noted as being killed at Arras in 1918. He was born on 28 September 1891 at Edgerston, Roxburgh the son of James and Margaret (daughter of George Lothian) Swinton of Thornielee, Clovensford, Selkirkshire. He was educated at Newton St Boswells and married at Bowden Manse on 4 January 1918 to Mary, daughter of Wiiliam Scott. Her residence was at Waster, Muirdeen, Kelso. He enlisted in the KOSB on 5 August 1914 and served in France with the 7/8th (Service) Battalion as a Bandsman from 2 February 1917. Piper Swinton was wounded at Arras on 26 June 1918 and died the same day at a Field Hospital. He was buried at Duisans British Cemetary, Plot IV, Row G, Grave 37.

His Commanding Officer, J K Ballanetyne, wrote to his wife; "He will be much missed by his friends in the Battalion and especially by his fellow bandsmen, with whom he was very popular.....he died a soldier's death, fighting for King and Country, and fighting for the greatest cause that any nation has ever yet fought". He is commemorated on the St Boswell's War Memorial.

post-11-1196547840.jpg

post-11-1196547857.jpg

post-11-1196547882.jpg

post-11-1196547892.jpg

post-11-1196547899.jpg

• Like 3

Nice medal G, it must be quite scarce if he was a piper ,well done

• Like 2

That's one of the interesting things about collecting British medals. You research and dig and come up with the story. The story can lead you in directions you never thought it would.

• Like 3

• 10 years later...

I came on this site by chance as I was looking for anything to do with my great uncle, George Lothian Swinton. I realise your post was nearly 11 years ago, so you may never see this, but it was interesting to see that someone had a medal of his. My wife and I are going on a trip to the battlefields in November and are hoping to visit his grave. I knew that he was a piper and the story I was told was that he was killed by a stray shell behind the lines.

• Like 4

Hi Keith, I'm glad you found this. Graeme has not been on the forum for some time, I'm not sure if he even still collects, but if we hear from him I will let him know, he might still have the medal or if not he might know who he sold it to, in the meantime please feel free to take copies of the photos I'm sure Graeme would not mind.       

• Like 3

Hi Kenny, thanks very much for responding to my comment. I didn’t really expect anybody to see it. I only posted because I thought he might have been interested to know there was a relative of George Swinton’s out there. It wasn’t that I was looking to buy the medal from him, rather that it was good to know somebody had it. Thanks again.

• Like 4