Help with WW2 AFS/NSF Fireman’s Brodie Mk2 Helmet

TigerSS

I've seen lights fitted to ARP helmets but they usually slot on rather than being mounted. 

WW2 ARP-Warden-Helmet-Mounted.jpg

• Like 2

Never seen one of those before Kenny, you learn something new every day.

• Like 2

I only knew about it because I had one in a few years ago, looked really smart on the helmet.  

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:10, leon21 said:

If it was a badge then it may have been a Bradford City Fire Department badge, the role of the ATS volunteer service was to assist the

regular City Fire Services, if these services were issued with the brodie helmet first, then it may have been passed on to a member of the

ATS later who removed the badge filled in the holes and repainted it? It's all speculation of course but another possibility?

I see where you are coming from and a 'possibility' but as far as I can tell through my 'limited' investigations the Brodie helmets were only issued to the AFS 1938 when the possibility of war was a real threat. Before this time the Fire Brigade's 'hard protection hat' was nothing like the Brodie it was like the large traditional helmet we associate with the Fire Brigade and doesn't look like it would have supported a badge of the type that 'may' have gone on this helmet.

In the photo taken in 1939 of Granny Chilvers that you posted a while back her cap badge looks quite large - I know you said earlier that the early badges were 1½ but the badge in that photo looks larger than that, or is it just me?

There's then the mystery of the white stripe painted over the top of a Green helmet?  - if only they could talk! 

• Like 2