Mark 1* Brodies

Tom.Delahoyde

Hi all, it’s me again.

I have a query regarding Mk.1* Brodies, I always thought 1*s where ‘refurbished’ / ‘refitted’ WW1 Mk.1 Brodies. Where these then re-stamped because I have a Mk.1* stamped 1939 or did they continue to produce Mk.1s but under the name Mk.1* for WW2?

Many thanks, Tom

• Like 3

Hi Tom, in 1936 the MK1 helmet had improvements made it was fitted with a new and improved liner

and a new elasticated or sprung webbing chinstrap,  and frequently a non-magnetic rim.

They also fitted a square non-magnetic MK1 chin-strap lug which was attached by a machine rivet rather

than a split rivet, sometimes they would use the new MK11 chin-strap lugs that had the corners cut off.

Some stocks of Brodie and MK1 bodies were re-used, this variant served until 1939/40 when it was superseded

by the slightly modified MK11 variant, around this time helmet shells and liners  began to be date stamped.

If your helmet is stamped 1939 and has these improvements then it is a MK1*, the MK11 came out in 1940.

If you look on page 2 of my post ( British WW1/WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps ) there is a Guide how to date

your helmets and variants.

• Like 3

Thanks Leon

• Like 3

Here's one to top the bill: Worn By Churchill (the valiant bulldog) - from an auction in 2005, apparently not sold in the auction, probably withdrawn and either sold outside of auction, item now no longer available:
Here's the original accompanying text, from a good source, undoubtedly worn by Churchill:
Graublau lackierte, z.T. flugrostige Glocke, das Spezialfutter des Hoflieferanten Walter Barnard, London mit einer Schraube im Scheitel der Glocke befestigt. Im inneren Rand Beschriftung "PM-Churchill". Größe ca. 55. Churchill soll diesen Helm bei der Besichtigung zerbombter Areale im Londoner East End getragen haben. Der Helm stammt aus der Auflösung des privaten Londoner WWII-Museums von Paul Raymond, 1985. Anhängend Zettel mit der Inventarnummer. Vgl. Phillips Blenstock House, The contents of the London War Museum, London, 5. Juni 1985, lot 254.

Unfortunately no picture of the liner or inside with his name.

1-48m-32331.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, would’ve sold for a lot. 

• Like 3

Yes I'm sure it did, any idea of the guide price the auction put on it Paul?.

• Like 2

No idea, it was offered as part of the auction, was called up, but nobody made a bid. Afterwards somebody bought in "Nachverkauf". No results were published.
You could ask the auction house, if you wish, I could give you the address.

• Like 2

Here's another example of a MK1* helmet (WR) War Reserve Police, inside rim stamped YU 1938 and strap holder lug also stamped

1938, liner is marked 7. Helmets Ltd 1-1939 of wheathampstead 1937-1943.

here are some photo's.  

s-l1600[1] (4).jpg

s-l1600[2] (3).jpg

s-l1600[3].jpg

s-l1600[4].jpg

• Like 3

Here's another example this time we have a MKI* Helmet stencilled AFS to front maker marked F & L 160 1939 for

Fisher & Ludlow Ltd Birmingham 1939-1942. Liner is marked 7. CCL. II-1940  ( Christy & Co Ltd London 1940-1945.

Here are some photo's.

s-l1600[2].jpg

s-l1600[5].jpg

s-l1600[6].jpg

s-l1600[8].jpg

• Like 3

These police helmets were being offered in mint condition minus storage scratches at a sale in Chadwell Heath nr. London around 1967/68 for one pound a piece.
Seem to have vanished since.

• Like 3

I wonder what happened to them all?

Bargain at that price, about £18 in todays money.

• Like 2

Probably all bought up, there were more of these around than any other types, army helmets were rarely seen.

• Like 3

Yes how times have changed you would be  lucky to buy one these days for under £50.

• Like 3