S.A. badge

Buster

Got this from a mate, as you can see it's a bronze sa badge , it's actually a replacement for a fake I got when away on holiday! Will never buy again when on my tablet by the pool . (LAST PIC INCLUDES FAKE BADGE COMPARISON)
The SA Sports Badge was instituted on 28 November 1933 by then SA chief Ernst Röhm. It was originally only issued in bronze through the year 1935. The on 15 February 1935, Hitler decreed that the badge be officially recognized. It was thereafter issued in three grades

Screenshot_20180702-215437.png

FB_IMG_1530820379086.jpg

FB_IMG_1530820362865.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting. The majority of SA Wehrkampfabzeichen were made of iron (magnetic) with a good bronze finish.
The badge was worn the other way round, with the blade pointing upwards.
The fake example does not look as though it is made of iron.

• Like 3

Did you find the museum Buster? I hope you didn't bump into the "head man"😬

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

No Kenny,  just as I thought, i couldn't get the wife off the beach, & was too hot to sit on a bus to get there .

• Like 4

I don't blame you Buster must have been really hot this year.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Here is my badge, numbered 745106, marked: Berg & Nolte A.G. /Ludenscheid. It is magnetic as well.

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

• Like 4

Before the war started, brass and bronze (Buntmetall)  were no longer used, either iron or aluminium.    As from 1940 aluminium was in short supply, as it was needed for aircraft, iron was generally needed for weapon production, so therefore zink was widely used for secondary articles.

• Like 5

I can understand that, weapons seem a higher priority in a conflict than medals and badges.

• Like 4

This example is by W. Redo, Saarlautern, probably the most often encountered producer of this badge.
Iron with a bronze patinated finish, considerable wear with slight traces of corrosion, has no number.
Most examples bear the inscription: Eigentum der Obersten SA-Führung.
So apparently the badge was not the property of the wearer, just on loan.

100_6059.JPG

100_6060.JPG

• Like 4

Interesting about the badges being marked property of the SA, mine reads: Eigentum der S.A. (Sturmabteilung) sportabzeichen hauptstelle. Any reason why mine is marked different than yours? Specification changes? Just curious.

• Like 4

Yours may be earlier with the numbering. The HJ Leistungsabzeichen was also usually numbered to each recipient. There are also B-Examples, which are said to be a replacement for a lost badge. These simply had a "B" stamp to the rear. This is maybe a similar prinicpal, I haven't seen any information so far to back this up in the case of the SA badge.

Just noticed: Your badge is also marked: "Sportabzeichen Hauptstelle", this is simply a variance in wording, the meaning would be the same - all badges being the property of the SA, Hauptstelle simply means Main Office, which would seem logical anyway. There was no legal difference. Either the wording was in variance by the manufacturer or slightly changed in due course, otherwise nothing would have changed in the ruling in the question of property. In case lost, it could also be a usefull indication to the finder, where the badge was to be returned in any case, it would have been sufficient to hand in to a police station.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Hi all

I know very little about SA badges (well, only enough to be dangerous! 😊).

what does everyone think about this one? 

Many thanks

E

F77661B4-9619-482A-A483-3F55178A4F58.jpeg

EB25D1EC-AF3D-439B-BB81-86F041BA0797.jpeg

4EB8F066-CA88-4152-8685-325A981AB311.jpeg

EB695120-D849-4F8B-B59B-665FFAC39407.jpeg

2A190850-8475-4695-AA73-C48A2E6CD391.jpeg

436E6450-88D6-4CD9-B657-5A942BC3F5E4.jpeg

• Like 4

Not quite mint, always a good sign. The silver is relatively rare. Looks all right at first glance in the pictures.
Any other opinions?

• Like 4

Hi Eddie,  as usual very hard to make a judgement from photo's alone. Badge looks OK, but I'm not sure about the finish, especially reverse left. Lot's of wear to sword but very little to the wreath, could just be the photo but does look like it's been touched up or re-guilded then aged.           

• Like 4

Thanks, both, for your useful input as always.

I’m in two minds about the badge which is why I asked- It has as much going for it, as it has against it! lol.

Thank you 

E

• Like 4

Or overpainted in silverbronze? (aluminium)

• Like 3