Is this Bulgarian M36 Helmet legit?

Tom.Delahoyde

Hi all,

This was the first helmet i bought, from a small museum,  knowing very little about helmets.

I know that the liner is a repro and the decals are clearly repro (pretty much paper just stuck on).

I’m thinking about replacing the decals with much better looking ones if i can find some.

I’m still trying to find some leather to replace the strap, I will probably go and ask the local tannery if they anything similar as I have not been able to find anything online.

Cheers,

Tom

5EA1E6F8-B7E8-46E9-9136-5C5BB9226938.jpeg

E7BC0272-2CF3-4E50-8AF2-99266B895936.jpeg

788FB92A-251A-4C33-BABF-068D7B409D13.jpeg

A8EF3DE3-3F3B-4C68-A305-501A931AF37B.jpeg

• Like 3

I am not an expert on Bulgarian helmets, but I would certainly say the interior and leather are "new", that is to say, post-WW2, the paintwork, although probably similar to the Bulgarian WW2 colour, also looks relatively new.  To the right side of the helmet are the Bulgarian national colours, but these also look relatively new, to the left side of the helmet is a German WW2 police decal, which I assume is a repro, as are readily available, looks however quite well done. Altogether, I don't think the whole item is genuine, and I've never heard of such a combination, a Bulgarian German police helmet, has obviously been made to sell. The lining is the typical communist eastern Europe postwar style, all rivetted and not stitched. Internet is full of helmets of this kind on offer, they are simply post war surplus. I am sure your local "Tannery" will have some sort of suitable leather for repairs.

• Like 3

Cheers Fritz

• Like 3

I have worked out it is an M36C. As you said, it may have been refitted during the ‘Communist era’ and then someone got hold of it as surplus and stuck some decals on. Do you reckon I should remove the decals (pretty much just paper it seems, not even cut very straight) to make the helmet look correct and not some historical ‘mash-up’?

Thanks again,

Tom

984EF9F0-B5EE-40E9-A5D5-68C831B59014.jpeg

5DCD4C4F-77DF-4914-ACDB-BBBBA73087EA.jpeg

• Like 2

I would tend to leave it as it is. Perhaps you can sell this as a mock-up and then get yourself a better quality original.

On the other hand, captured helmets, such as Russian, French, Czech, Dutch, etc. were used to some extent by organisations
such as Luftschutz, Police, etc., when there were not enough proper helmets to go around - these were then exhaustively
refinished in the appropriate colour with decals and new liners and chinstrap and re-issued. Here is a Russian example and a Czech example that has not even been repainted.

image.png.1925ba5c61bd4da7dc884d3168b05845.pngimage.png.fcda9c24b166889e5b114301fe8b19db.png

• Like 3

Thanks for all the information Fritz,

yeah I probably will sell it and put the money towards my WW2 British Civil Defense helmet collection.

• Like 2

I agree Tom, best to move this one on for something better.  

• Like 2