Antique Market Purchases for small sums

Fritz

image.thumb.png.696a2d09b71705499acadfbd286c8d24.png

Puchased at a Flohmarkt in September 2009 for 1 Euro. A miniature U-Boot Kriegsabzeichen on iron cross ribbon mounted as a Feldspange. Post-war 1957 version.

At an interesting Antiques Market (indoor) this morning, there weren't too many dealers as the weather was too good, people are enjoying the sun. There must be a general price cut somewhere, or interest has receeded, everything seemed to be going for 2 Euros today! I had ten euros with me, as I didn't plan to make any big buys, as been spending enough lately, need to re-generate.

Ended up buying more than usual, there was a stand with interesting old postcards, so I thought, here is the opportunity, what do I look for? I thought I'd try "K" for Königsberg, as I had seen a few lately in the net, and its something that has died out. Two of these cards are of the "Blutgericht", which was also of special interest to me, that is where Walter and Liesel Neusüß were photographed in early 1942 (see resp. article).
So there were three nice cards of Königsberg, so I got these for 6 euros, ok. There were also other bits and pieces, such as navy buttons, all sorts, etc., and also one Reichskokarde of WW2 vintage but as good as mint, so I got it for 2 euros. Looking on further, there was another dealer selling everything for 2 euros - and there was a gigantic book, which is very familiar, but I never owned - it is terribly heavy and would almost break up under its own weight - HINDENBURG DENKMAL Für Das Deutsche Volk, which was published around 1924. It was all complete, reasonably good order, the spine slighly frayed and opening, which can be easily repaired. Contains many black and white and colour plates.
A well known historical volume dedicated to World War I and sponsored by Reichspräsident von Hindenburg. I can remember many years ago this book would have cost a fortune in DM. I believe it was also very expensive originally, when  published in 1924, and today at a throwaway price.

100_3448.JPG

100_3447.JPG

100_3450.JPG

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Another stroll over that Antik Market in that shopping centre today, which is only held about 3-4 times a year. It was much busier and better visited than April, and you always get the occasional surprise and lots of other interesting things to view. One dealer had a few medals and a late war Wehrmacht water bottle and also a heavy duty Y-strap with unusual heavy aluminium fittings, stamped inside with a Berlin maker and 1940. Another dealer had a late 18th century or early 19th century infantry officers sword without scabbard, said to be Prussian, which I could not confirm, as many other armies had a similar weapon, an impressive and elegant piece however. The same dealer had an Erdkampfabzeichen of the Luftwaffe, which looked ok, not certain, an N.S. party sympathisers badge, and another item -  for me an obvious faked SS-deaths head skull with scroll - as are often seen as copies, this was accompanied by a cut-out with picture from an auction catalogue, as proof of being genuine. The first thing I noticed, the catalogue description said "zinc", I could clearly see the item was made of stamped brass, with a worn matt silver finish - an obvious fake. One further item which impressed was a Kriegsmarine U-Bootskriegsabzeichen, an early example in gilded bronze with a coke bottle horizontal needle and hook above - the maker at the back was "Imme" (JMME) - Imme was well known for maker for Luftwaffe aviation badges, especially early examples in Aluminium - I have never heard of a naval badge or a U-Boot badge by this maker (Imme, Berlin). The badge was offered for 80 Euro, normally well underpriced for such an example, of which quality would normally be around 600-750 Euros.

Does anyone have any experience of Naval badges by this maker? I would be pleased to hear.

The only thing I decided for, was a shortened lenght of neck ribbon for the Ritterkreuz for 5 Euros! However, not certain here about the originality, The quality is quite good, the colour and type of material look good, with some signs of handling, pinning, slight age and some paper/glue residue to reverse. However, what strikes me is the absence of the typical edges of a medal ribbon. Could be contemporary, could also be official postwar manufacture for the 1957 authorised version, or simply an older copy. Length, ca. 39,5 cm. See photo.

100_3875.JPG

100_3876.JPG

100_3877.JPG

• Like 3

You are correct Fritz, IMME never made any Kriegsmarine  awards. On the ribbon the lack of the D loops on the weft of the threads indicate post war ribbon but still OK for 5 Euro. 

• Like 4

All exactly what I thought. Thanks, kenny. Good job I didn't buy the badge, it was very nice quality though. Never mind the quality, feel the width!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Recently acquired for only 2,50 Euro in a nearby shop which deals with interesting second-hand items from house clearances, this little crest made of sheet brass, with ultra-accurate precision cut out, and representing the former Prussian Province of Pommern (Pommerania). It was originally mounted on a wooden shield without doubt, there are still remains of the fixing posts to the rear, finished in a clear varnish to prevent tarnish (anlaufgeschützt). Most likely pre-war.

100_4135.JPG

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Flea Market purchases at the weekend -
Spent for 2 items, both well over 100 years old:

A helmet plate for Marine Infantry, probably from a sun helmet - colonies - cost 8,00 Euro
One of a set of fittings for furniture, heavy, gilt solid brass, decorative - cost 0,50 ct.

Extraordinary luck, normally, you don't find anything much of interest, and when, well over-charged. One way or another, flea market dealers mostly don't have a clue.

image.thumb.png.fdb5ad2b3ec41a4fd2ce65dc22f90e2f.png

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

• 7 months later...

wow the helmet plate was a bargain 😮

• Like 4

very good hunting!

• Like 4

It was just damned lucky, as it was early and that I even noticed it!

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Feldflasche!  Another bargain, this time for 0,00 - found on a street corner, had been abandoned with some other junk.
Cover and leather carrying strap/hook missing. The cap has been fitted with a hand-made string lanyard,
which has been on it for a very long time. The capacity is just under one litre, roughly between 750 and 850 ml, when filled to the mouth. Thought at first it could be  a military canteen, but more likely HJ or similar. There are no maker's marks, and of all aluminium construction. The lanyard is attached to a small ring around the top of the cap, which could be original to the flask. Quite definitely before 1945, and probably before 1939, has quite a few dents, which would not be visible under a cover.

100_6974.JPG

100_6975.JPG

100_6976.JPG

Feldflasche – Wikipedia

As a comparison, a Feldflasche of the Bundesgrenzschutz, 1957, could easily be mistaken for the real thing.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

100_7010.JPG

100_7011.JPG

100_7012.JPG

Just acquired this piece from a second hand shop for 14 Euros! Prussia, Infanterieoffiziers Degen pre-1889 or perhaps for Militärbeamte. The piece has been totally neglected, probably from the attic of a private household. The leather scabbard is missing, the blade is quite rusted, but should clean to a certain degree, the grips have lost their silver wire binding, the decorative crossbar to the hilt has broken off, these parts solid brass, have totally lost all gilding. Will need extensive cleaning and restoration, the wire grip binding can be replaced, the fittings polished. It would be theoretically possible to restore the broken off end of the hilt bar, but this would be a very skillfull task and would require brass welding.
The rear of the hilt basket is hinged for ease of wear, within the gaps are the last traces of original gilding, both parts are stamped with a number 19, the main part also with a 7, most likely manufacturer's stamps for the parts. Maker unknown, there may be engraving to the blade, but not visible due to the rust. Dating from ca. 1860-1914, probably early 20th century, worn by infantry officers till 1889.

100_6177.JPG

How the weapon originally looked.

100_7291.JPG

Restored and prior to mounting for display. Unfortunately, no scabbard

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

• 2 months later...

100_7152.JPG

100_7153.JPG

Schneppchen for 5,50 Euros

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

• 5 months later...

Latest haul for 30 Euros, which is about right - Uschanka for NVA officer (Wintermütze) and 2 pairs of shoulder pieces for a Leutnant

grafik.thumb.png.7019fcd5ba7b94ff0a78297f28acaa72.png

Correct cockade for an officer, artificial enamels on a nickel plated pressed wreath

grafik.thumb.png.1626325a2511497042fe36e8300406da.png

Celluloid label with maker's details, NVA, size 56 and maker 1856, who seems to have made all headgear for the NVA, "VEB Perfekt".

grafik.thumb.png.c8e4dfc2a137c6f264ce7b9e17e18c6c.png

Top of cap in lightweight fieldgrey gabardine and artificial fur.

grafik.thumb.png.05224ae89652c9760c344f453b6f82c7.png

grafik.thumb.png.0b6e4b8baa3fdc34fcc98ca9db563d9b.png

Shoulder pieces for a Leutnant, motorised infantry. Lined in lightweight white cotton, one pair with some staining. Attached by green laces and regulation aluminium buttons  (typical Russian style). Two pips for a Leutnant, one pip for Unterleutnant.  Quality is not comparable with Wehrmacht items!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

• 4 months later...

image.thumb.png.93e00c71372745178aa4be7954f76143.png

This cigar case was just 5 Euros in a second hand shop
Franz, Oberleutant der Landwehr im Garde-Füsilier-Regiment

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

image.thumb.png.8fd3ffa4c7954fd40d3492f72d50cf90.png

image.thumb.png.6b4309beeda358b0062b13bbbbb7bca8.png

image.thumb.png.f180fdb426a9b982b4744582f864ceef.png

This one for 6,50 Euro. DRK - Deutsches Rotes Kreuz, postwar to modern. Plain stonegrey gabardine with a red cross cockade. No markings in liner,
size tab.

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.66fc28d78e65510401ee308865144af4.png

Mode à la Viennoise, Wiener Biedermeiermode, 1835
Copy by Hannelore Schipmann of an original coloured print
in an older glazed elegant wooden frame
for 5 Euros in a second hand shop.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

image.thumb.jpeg.db7be56c2ce95d99400c10f30345e713.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.090e129869b2f90b723fbd2df40b7acd.jpeg

These 3 items just found in a secondhand shop for 8 Euros each
Lufthansa gilt and enamel pin in original case
Sweden, gilt and enamel brooch with makers name LAGERSTRÖMS FAB, Mjölby
British officer rank pip, gilt and enamel, has been later worn as a brooch, probably a sweetheart brooch from the occupation forces after 1945. The symbol represents the Order of the Bath with the inscription Tria juncta in uno.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

100_8216.thumb.JPG.68834d5641270d8f8d852b2663f91689.JPG

Silver Edelweiß for 8 Euros

• Like 2