Another buckle

Buster

Hi, I originally  bought this as an S.A. buckle as no measurements  where published in the advert.  The buckle arrived and turns out to be a  Jugenbund der NSDAP or  SA-Koppelschloss buckle  used from 1922 by the NSDAP youth groups which fell under the SA .

20180405_002602.jpg

20180405_002635.jpg

• Like 4

This is a bit scarcer than the normal SA buckle, and is said to be for the Jugend as you state, later replaced by the now more common HJ buckle.
The reason for the smaller size is obviously a matter of taste, as a large buckle would somehow look out of proportion on a child or smaller person!
This goes back to the days of the Prussian Cadets, who also wore a buckle about this size (GOTT MIT UNS and crown).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Fritz, I have seen S.A. buckles with the more rounded / mobile swastika, is there any reason for this or just a different  design ?

• Like 3

These are said to be the earliest type with the "rounded swastika", also referred to as "Sonnenrad" (mobiles Hakenkreuz), there are then the next two types, "lying flat" (liegend) and "standing"(stehend). Also some buckles have a silver centre others are all brass, the standard type is hollow-pressed in one piece. An all silver buckle is said to be N.S.K.K. This example here is the most standard of the 3rd pattern with a "standing swastika" There are also various special publications about belt buckles, some very detailed and illustrated with original examples, such as
"Katalog der Koppelschlösser und Leibbinden Deutschland 1800 - 2000" or
"Koppelschlösser des Dritten Reichs" by Bernd Stephan
and another English language publication by Baldwin, if I remember rightly. These can still be easily obtained., and cheaper if slightly used.

S.A.teile.JPG

image.png.233bba7f818531a83968487fb2fc6e7e.png

An example of the first pattern, "mobiles Hakenkreuz" or "Sonnenrad"

image.png.349a4b985f13c64439585d325d20a221.png

The second pattern, "liegendes Hakenkreuz", this is apparently much harder to find, my first SA buckle, purchased in 1967 was this type, complete with the brown belt and one loop with D-Ring.

Bernd-Stephan+Koppelschlösser-des-Dritten-Reiches-1988-1989-3980135810.jpg

• Like 5

I will probably get one of the early ones if a nice one comes up at a reasonable price.  Are the all silver ones rare?

• Like 4

Haven't really noticed, I think they turn up now and again (as worn by NSKK), always beware of copies and fakes.
SS buckles are some of the rarest and most expensive, there are also too many copies and fakes around

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Yes the NSKK wore the Silver version of these buckles as they came from the SA. I have seen two types for the NSKK buckles, one which is similar in appearance to the SA types, but silver, and another which is close to Army types, which has a pebbled look to indicate members at the NSKK driving school, also silver looking, but dull in appearance. The NSKK buckles are not as common as the SA ones and are typically more expensive. As Fritz said, be mindful of fakes...

• Like 4