Alter Adler - Pioneers of Aviation

Fritz

A gravestone with an emblem, "Alter Adler", which I recently discovered, attracted my curiosity, and I realised this was something to do with the early days of aviation.
I remember reading years ago about the postwar  "Grey Eagles" association made up of surviving WW1 aviation veterans, such as  von der Osten, Willi Gabriel, Bodenschatz, von Doering, von Conta, Wilhelm Allmenröder, etc., who attended an anual "Richthofen Dinner", originally presided over by Göring, and which was later revived in the years after the Second World War. The association was originally founded around 1927.
I tried to google this and only found one page with limited information. This association had founder members such as Hugo Junkers, Claude Dornier, and other prominent members such as Elly Beinhorn, Gerhard Fieseler, and Hanna Reitsch, and was to maintain the tradition of early aviation in Germany and to further future aviation progress. Unfortunately, I could not find any information on the man mentioned on the gravestone, but judging by his birthdate, 1895, he must have definitely been a World War I veteran, and most certainly involved with aviation. See emblem and dates in photo.

https://www.alteadler.de/

AlterAdler.JPG

• Like 2