Officers Shoulder strap

Kenny Andrew

Any idea what this is,  we are having trouble identifying it? We think it's Imperial officers however all the Imperial ones we have seen have silver bullion thread where as this one has gold bullion, it is not toned down silver.   

1083a-zoom.jpg

1083b-zoom.jpg

• Like 2

If this is really gold coloured, then it could be for a Militär Beamter, equivalent rank of, but not an officer.  Red and Blue would be the colours of Oldenburg, but the combination of red, blue and gold (or yellow) is Mecklenburg. However, this is not complete, as they were always worn with a little crowned shield, so as such not complete. I cannot say for certain one way or the other. Unfortunately, I don't have an example in my collection to compare. Try looking around in the internet under Militärbeamte, Prussia, Mecklenburg, Oldenburg, etc. You may well find a comparable illustration.
Here is an example of a Militärbeamter, Bavaria.

Beamter.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Typically, after they were incorporated into the Prussian system, Hanover and Oldenburg would have worn Prussian Beamten insignia. Regardless, all Beamten wore blue threads (so-called darts) on their boards during the imperial period. That leads me to believe that this is a postwar piece for an official or a police officer. This would also account for the lack of an imperial Wappen. I have an example of such a board from the postwar Baden police and it has Baden colored threads (yellow and red).

• Like 3

Hannover was no longer a sovereign and independant state after the war of 1866, just simply a Prussian Province, Oldenburg was in alliance with  Prussia during that war.

• Like 2

Thanks Chip, when you say post war, is that post First World War or post Second World War? The strap came in with a collection of Imperial and Third Reich straps.    

• Like 2

This would be post-WW1, there was no continuation or tradition and no Mecklenburg after WW2
And shoulder straps of the traditional kind were abolished for military use, also no more daggers, swords or portépées, or any other
traditional insignia. The Bundeswehr is now a NATO army, no longer German.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1