Military Side Drum

SusanM

Afternoon. I wonder if anyone has any info they can share about this drum.  I’m afraid I know absolutely nothing about such things. Much appreciated. Susan

040AC4CD-45E5-422B-8794-C5F0CB19725A.jpeg

E94C8EFA-59D9-4366-9BC4-DEC070CA0437.jpeg

• Like 3

I would hazard an uneducated guess and say this was a standard British Infantry drum. It has the Royal coat of arms and otherwise no particular regimental designation, I don't know if the colouring black, white and red has any significance or if this is original to the drum, possibly repainted, as the white looks a little new. The sides  and emblem seem to be made of brass, with traces of gilt, which has dulled over the years, so the item is presumably pre-war or much oder, but has the King's crown, as used 1902-1952. The emblem seems to be attached by screws, originality of which may be questionable. Cetainly interesting and unusual. Perhaps somebody else in the forum knows more?

• Like 3

Hi Susan,

welcome to the forum, yes the drum is a general service drum, probably WW1 period. The red, black and white is correct but it looks like it may have been touched up in places. Most likely used by a drummer boy as the Regimental drums tended to be the bigger style rather than the snare drum type. I have attached a picture of a similar one. 

The General service badge was worn by the following units

Volunteer training units

General List

General service corps

Labour corps

Military Provost staff corps 

Drummer boy.jpg

• Like 2

The cap badge in the picture looks very much like Royal Engineers?

• Like 2

yes it is Engineers was just referring to the pattern of drum, and as you say regarding the General service badge it would need a hands on inspection to verify whiter it was original to the drum or added later. Looks like white filler has been added to the lower part of the drum too.   

• Like 1