Quist Cessation of Production

David Fraser

Hello,

I am posting this information as it confirms that Quist were still manufacturing steel helmet shells as late as 1962.

My main interest is, of course, in the M34 German fire helmet and post war M35/M40 style variants. Recently, I purchased two x DIN 14940, post war German fire helmets with steel shells. They are painted black and in mint, unused, condition. The shells are stamped 'DIN 14940' which confirms they could not have been manufactured any earlier than 1962. The shells are also stamped with the letter 'Q', indicating that they were manufactured by Quist.

I believe this information is historically significant. In attempting to research Quist, I can find nothing specific, only opinions suggesting they ceased production in the late 1950's.

• Like 4

That is very significant David, it's amazing sometimes how little information is actually known about certain aspects of collecting. I find this all the time when researching items. With things like Iron crosses pretty much every variant and maker is known.Whereas something unusual and obscure such as a Third Reich Feuerwehr overseas cap, very little is known and how to detect it from an early post war cap is very difficult. I'm actually researching one now so will try to post some pictures later on in the week. You should post some pictures of your helmets David, Quist is one of my favorite makers.        

• Like 3

Hi Kenny,

Yes, as soon as I have a suitable opportunity, and a nice dry day for taking photographs, I will add them to the posting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

There is some information on the Firm Quist under Wikipedia. The works were in Esslingen/Württ. Postwar they carried on producing metalware, but must have gone bankrupt after 1973, when the project to start up a factory in Malaysia failed. A date of cessation for helmet production is not apparent. The state or city archives documentation in Esslingen would probably yield much information.:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Quist

• Like 2